Contributor

Re: First order of business for the New Year

I am all for it.   Check and double check, too many shootings going on.  And this may not stop it but even slowing it down is a good thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

All that is doing is harassing ordinary citizens.

Gang members and other criminals don't prance to a gun shop to buy firearms.

How ridiculous and he can say or do whatever he wants but he won't disarm the US although I'm sure he'll give it the old college try.....

You don't have to do a background check to purchase a gun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

what are we referring to here?

ETA: I just saw another post that explains it. Who cares, it won't do anything to stop most of these terrible incidents. Criminals don't play by the rules - they will and do obtain guns illegally already and won't stop any time soon. And others, like the Sandy Hook shooter, will simply steal or use guns that ARE legally obtained by someone else in the household if they are hellbent on shooting up a place.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with background checks and have gone through many myself and it doesn't bother me in the least. However, the government is only doing this to appease the masses, to make them feel safer but truly it doesn't make us any safer. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maudelynn wrote:

Background checks.  Bring it on!

Let's hope it has an impact.  We'll never know if we don't try.

There already are background checks.  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

what are we referring to here?

ETA: I just saw another post that explains it. Who cares, it won't do anything to stop most of these terrible incidents. Criminals don't play by the rules - they will and do obtain guns illegally already and won't stop any time soon. And others, like the Sandy Hook shooter, will simply steal or use guns that ARE legally obtained by someone else in the household if they are hellbent on shooting up a place.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with background checks and have gone through many myself and it doesn't bother me in the least. However, the government is only doing this to appease the masses, to make them feel safer but truly it doesn't make us any safer. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security.

exactly...

Esteemed Contributor

Instead of waiting for someone to come and rescue you - best to be your own security.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

And then there was THE facebook that WAS NOT checked and look at that cost. Any check is no better than who is doing it. How's about enforcing the ones that are already on the books? We'll never know if we don't fully enforce the ones that already exist.

hckynut(john)

I didn't even think of that- part of the background check could involve checking FB posts!  I'm for it.  I also agree we should fully enforce the laws we already have.  

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Weren't her posts set on private and not visible ?

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Background checks for who?    My brain is off to a slow start today ... sorry.

The prez is about to announce new gun laws, including background checks, by executive power.

More bypassing the system that was meant to be. Gotta love it.

Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. This post was flagged as abuse due to an unkind term used to describe people in a specific party - removing.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I underwent a background check when I purchased my firearm, it was painless and went smoothly.  I didn't feel violated or intruded upon. 

Exactly. So you have to wonder what some who are so vehemently against it are hiding.