Honored Contributor
I can't decide whether to laugh or cry. We had had a very wild feral at our back door for over a year. We had tried everything to domesticate her/him, but she/he would never allow the touch of our hand. Our one attempt to trap her in a have-a-heart was a disaster- she nearly killed herself trying to get away. Sometimes she'd sleep in the insulated bed we'd made for her, sometimes not. Just after Christmas, when the weather became so brutal, she vanished. We were afraid she'd been attacked and was frightened to come near the porch light. I grieved and mourned for her, and convinced myself that she'd be better off euthanized than suffering. This morning, she came back. We were absolutely overjoyed, but now, again, we join the lives of those who love ferals, never really knowing the best thing to do......
Honored Contributor

Clearly this precious kitty has never forgotten all of the TLC that you have given to her so she came back.

Hopefully this time she'll stay with you for good.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Respected Contributor

You may never tame her, but she knows that she is loved. Talk sweetly to her, feed her food and treats and maybe she'll improve enough so that you can pet her. When you trapped her before, did you have her fixed or was she so violent that you just let her go?

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Violann, Our neighbors "adopted" a feral cat over four years ago. In all that time, until this year, we could not get near her to even pet her, let alone hold her. This year the bitter cold weather changed all that. We've fed her (and other ferals) for several years always keeping food and milk out on the porch for all the cats. She'd come for the food ... and finally after all these years, allowed us to pet her, then to hold her. Amazing ... after 4 years!

One morning we saw her near the feeder and she was holding up her paws, first the front and then the back. Concerned about frostbite I told my DH, "One way or another, come h*ll or high water, I am bringing that cat in the house." I was really concerned she'd freeze to death because we had sub zero temps at night and it was extremely cold in single digits during the day. I tried on several occasions without success but finally after numerous tries, I got her and brought her in to the basement family room. From the first, I placed a throw on the sofa and a cat bed on top of that and that is still her favorite place to lay. She still goes out often but amazingly will come back when she wants in. I guess "she" adopted us!

So, never give up. They know when they're loved despite their aloofness. The food (dry and wet), treats, milk, water, etc. and hugs are readily available to her. And, to top it off, she now purrs loudly every time we pet or hold her. Success story ... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

My little feral that I have been feeding since August took awhile before she warmed up enough to me for me to pet her. She is still skittish and will swat at me if I am standing up over her but if I sit down on the steps outside she will come up to me and rub all over me and let me pet her and she just purrs and purrs. We brought her in when it was bitter cold and that only lasted a couple of days, she would not come out from under the bed and not use the litter so we ended up putting her back out. The second time that we had the artic weather, I did not see her for over a week and was so worried about her but she did come back and now she is back to normal, living under our house, waiting on the steps for us when we get home from work so she can eat, hanging around all the time. Don't give up, he/she may just come around yet and let you get close. In my case it took a lot of patience, talking softly to her, and lots of scratches when I tried to touch her, things are not perfect yet, can't pick her up, but if I am sitting I can at least pet her, started out with just being able to pet her tail, now I can pet all of her, rug her neck, back, ears, all of her.

Esteemed Contributor

I must say that I love and respect all you ladies for the love and support you give these kitties! I have a neighbor that traps the ferral cats and has them spayed/neutered and returns them. She also leaves food out all year long and provides shelter for them. It has been a brutal winter! She used to have 4 cats, now just one in her home. Lately I've found food on my patio, bread, orange slices too, for the squirrels. The racoons visit her too. I told her that she's an angel and I'm so glad I live next door! When I get a job, I am hoping I can buy food for the kitties too, as they walk by my patio door and give Emmy havoc, lol!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Contributor

Violann and all, so nice of you to do this, especially in the cold weather. I am glad she found her way back. Like Topaz Gem, I hope she is spayed.

Good luck and blessings for your big heart!

Trusted Contributor

Bless you for caring for this baby.My hubby and I have been feeding 2 ferals for over 4 years now.The female we call Goldie we never though would ever trust us enough to come close,the male did pretty early on,we call him Pal.It took over a year but Goldie starting getting closer and closer to us,we now pet her,I have picked her up for a mere second but its a miracle.She will rub all over us,I have even played with her with a wand toy.Just be patient and it may happen.MY hubby never thought Goldie would come around but I would spend time talking to her very softly and she came to trust me.We were able to trap Goldie and her fixed,Pal unfortunately is too smart and we have been very unscusessful.We used tuna to lure Goldie into the trap and she walked right in.Threw a blanket over it right away as to help calm her down.She was so scared when the door shut,she pee* right away.I felt terrible but it had to be done.I wish you the best.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor
We think if "she" is really and truly a "she" that she must have been spayed. She was fat and glossy before she took her vacation, but looked as though it was more from Fancy Feast than from anything else. If "she" is a male, "he" is very petite. When it is warmer I will try teasing her to me with treats but that's not a possibility now. They would not have taken her at our vets', and probably would have humanely euthanized her at our local very good shelter. Selfish that it may have been, I couldn't risk that. The hardest part of loving a feral is the unknown....
Respected Contributor
On 3/4/2014 violann said: We think if "she" is really and truly a "she" that she must have been spayed. She was fat and glossy before she took her vacation, but looked as though it was more from Fancy Feast than from anything else. If "she" is a male, "he" is very petite. When it is warmer I will try teasing her to me with treats but that's not a possibility now. They would not have taken her at our vets', and probably would have humanely euthanized her at our local very good shelter. Selfish that it may have been, I couldn't risk that. The hardest part of loving a feral is the unknown....

The poor kitty was probably abandoned. I don't blame you for not wanting to rock the boat right now. She is back home with you and if/when you can tame her enough to trust you, you can think about having a vet take a look at her then.

I look forward to future updates, Violann. Smile I believe that over time, you will earn her trust and while she may always be skittish, I expect you to report very soon, that you're able to give her a pat every now and then.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James