Honored Contributor

Some here are devastated that physically bullying a student isn't acceptable.

They are devastated that even the Sheriff disagrees with them, and they will fight to the end to reinforce assaulting children.

Thank goodness LE itself and decent people won't let that happen.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor
Spoiler
The student lashed out after she was put into a head lock by the officer.

From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-south-carolina-police-idUSKCN0SL02320151028

The incident comes at a time of heightened scrutiny of the use of force by police, particularly against minorities. Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said he did not know if race was a factor in the case.

The student, who was not identified, was not injured, he said. A third video that emerged on Tuesday showed her striking Fields after he put her in a head lock, Lott said.

The student "bears some responsibility. It started with her," Lott said.

However, the sheriff described the arrest footage as disturbing and said the internal police investigation should conclude within the next day because "the facts pretty much speak for themselves."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

This is from the NYT which is much different from what @Mominohio wrote:

On Wednesday, Sheriff Lott made clear that he believed some responsibility for the episode rested with the student, who he said “started this whole incident with her actions.” But, he said, “what she did doesn’t justify what our deputy did.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/us/south-carolina-deputy-ben-fields-fired.html?_r=0

Thanks, Smaug.

Funny how you totally miss the words I underlined above.

I don't think anyone missed those words - but isn't that ALWAYS the reason why police are called in - because someone started an incident?

So, sorry, it doesn't mesh.  Police are trained to deal with volatile incidents.  That is part of their job.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:
Spoiler

From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-south-carolina-police-idUSKCN0SL02320151028

The incident comes at a time of heightened scrutiny of the use of force by police, particularly against minorities. Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said he did not know if race was a factor in the case.

The student, who was not identified, was not injured, he said. A third video that emerged on Tuesday showed her striking Fields after he put her in a head lock, Lott said.

However, the sheriff described the arrest footage as disturbing and said the internal police investigation should conclude within the next day because "the facts pretty much speak for themselves."

@Smaug wrote:
Spoiler

From Reuters:

I think I would lash out too if someone put me in a head lock Smiley Sad

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Read your own posted link, the sheriff did indeed say the girl bears responsibility. 

Why so many people can't understand personal responsibility is beyond me.

And the officer has a higher duty to exercise both professional and personal responsibility as well. He was the aggressor and he's been terminated. 

He was not the aggressor, she was. She acted out first, she disobeyed  more than one person before he got there. 

This is the real world that many won't raise their kids to understand. Not everyone is going to negotiate with you. Not everyone is going to take your bull. This guy might well have saved her life, if she learned a lesson that in the real world, on the streets, if you push someone, they will push back, and sometimes in a manner that is in excess or dangerous or deadly. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know what that post came out as "spoiler". 

Sorry. Ugh. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Is there a news source where I can read this? Thanks. 

@Say Nay

Yes in the link that the OP posted herself, then argues about what is in it.

You have it backwards.  Even the sheriff in charge can't make you understand what he said,

Esteemed Contributor

Amazing that there are people who are so willing to give some people a pass concerning their behavior and crucify others.  When you put yourself into situatiopns where bad things can happen, don't be suprised when they do.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Is there a news source where I can read this? Thanks. 

@Say Nay

Yes in the link that the OP posted herself, then argues about what is in it.

You have it backwards.  Even the sheriff in charge can't make you understand what he said,

I don't have anything backward. You have a problem with personal responsibility, and always do in these cases. The sheriff made himself clear, she bears some responsibility for what transpired. Period. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Read your own posted link, the sheriff did indeed say the girl bears responsibility. 

Why so many people can't understand personal responsibility is beyond me.

And the officer has a higher duty to exercise both professional and personal responsibility as well. He was the aggressor and he's been terminated. 

He was not the aggressor, she was. She acted out first, she disobeyed  more than one person before he got there. 

This is the real world that many won't raise their kids to understand. Not everyone is going to negotiate with you. Not everyone is going to take your bull. This guy might well have saved her life, if she learned a lesson that in the real world, on the streets, if you push someone, they will push back, and sometimes in a manner that is in excess or dangerous or deadly. 

Aggressor does not define the actions of a teen who simply won't put her cell phone away.  

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____