Respected Contributor

This is from the NYT which is much different from what @Mominohio wrote:

On Wednesday, Sheriff Lott made clear that he believed some responsibility for the episode rested with the student, who he said “started this whole incident with her actions.” But, he said, “what she did doesn’t justify what our deputy did.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/us/south-carolina-deputy-ben-fields-fired.html?_r=0

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

It was right to fire him, he broke procedure and assaulted a young girl.

He got what he deserved and men like him should never be allowed around students or young girls.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Read your own posted link, the sheriff did indeed say the girl bears responsibility. 

Why so many people can't understand personal responsibility is beyond me.

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

This is from the NYT which is much different from what @Mominohio wrote:

On Wednesday, Sheriff Lott made clear that he believed some responsibility for the episode rested with the student, who he said “started this whole incident with her actions.” But, he said, “what she did doesn’t justify what our deputy did.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/us/south-carolina-deputy-ben-fields-fired.html?_r=0

Thanks, Smaug.

Respected Contributor

Regardless of how this child acted the officer should never have done what he did.

She bears responsibility for her actions but his out weigh hers. 

How does the school not know what this guy is like ?

And with that said how is  she being raised to disrespect her teacher to the point this happens?

I do not think his handling was right but there are a lot of questions leading up to this.

I hope this does not go down the rabbit hole and turn into soemthing worse.

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Is there a news source where I can read this? Thanks. 

@Say Nay

Yes in the link that the OP posted herself, then argues about what is in it.

Respected Contributor

Just to add, as per my mom who knows the job, it doesn't matter that the student is violent or not. My mom worked with special education students who were agressive and she did not assault them. 

To make it clear; no situation warrants attacking and assaulting a student. The officers are not in schools to attack the students but to protect them. Their job is to deescalate the situation. This officer escalated it to a point that was against regulation and his training. There was no need for this officer to body slam her to get her out of the chair. 

If he had remained calm and thought it through, he would of called for backup as he was trained to do. Now, he lost his job and his possible pension because he can't control his temper. This officer was sued in the past for excessive force. In one case, they sided with him and the other is pending. In the CNN article, it states students began filming due to his reputation.

So, this officer has prior documented use of excessive force. He did not learn from his past mistakes. The video clearly shows he cannot refrain himself and do his job because he cannot control his anger. His job is to control the situation not lose control of it. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Read your own posted link, the sheriff did indeed say the girl bears responsibility. 

And the officer has a higher duty to exercise both professional and personal responsibility as well. He was the aggressor and he's been terminated. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Sheriff Lott made clear...  “what she did doesn’t justify what our deputy did.”

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Is there a news source where I can read this? Thanks. 

I also heard the sheriff state this on last night's news update.  This would have never started if the girl had obeyed her teacher and put her cell away which was against class policy.  She refused x 3. 

But heaven forbid that we make what has been reported as an 18 year old be responsible for their own behavior and actions. (some reports say 16 some say 18).

Hopefully a lesson learned by her and others that witnessed the event, that sometimes the consequences of your actions/behavior aren't equal to the 'crime', so think about that before you think the rules don't apply to you.