Honored Contributor

Arrest video fallout: Spring Valley High Officer Ben Fields fired

Did not follow proper training or procedures.

Other officers upset by what he did.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/28/us/south-carolina-school-arrest-videos/

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Honored Contributor

No, the sherriff did not say she bore responsibility for being assaulted, head damage, etc.

Sorry, MomInO, but even the experts disagree with you, which is why that bully was fired.

Respected Contributor

My mom worked as a school safety agent in NYC schools, which is part of the police dept. and I asked her take. She unequivocally said the officer was in the wrong. His job was to descalate the situation and work as a peace officer. If the student is aggressive, he was supposed to ask for help by calling his superiors. By no means, was he supposed to tackle a student regardless if she punched him who was seated at her desk.

She added that she faced many difficult situations with students and in that job one needs to remain calm and think clearly. She never assaulted a student. If the student did not want to leave the class, he had to call for backup but not do what he did.

And my mom worked in several schools over her over 15 years on the job as the only school safety agent, so that is no excuse. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

My mom worked as a school safety agent in NYC schools, which in part of the police dept. and I asked her take. She unequivocally said the officer was in the wrong. His job was to descalate the situation and work as a peace officer. If the student is aggressive, he was supposed to ask for help by calling his superiors. By no means, was he supposed to tackle a student regardless if she punched him who was seated at her desk.

She added she faced many difficult situations with students and in that job one needs to remain calm and think clearly. She never assaulted a student. If the student did not want to leave the class, he had to call for backup but not do what he did.

Thank you for your first hand report.

Your mom was a great school safety agent, and she was so right, it was her job and the job of the officer in question here to DEescalate the situation.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Is there a news source where I can read this? Thanks. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Valued Contributor

This is not the first time this girl has been in trouble - her first reaction is to hit - the officer was defending himself.  She was told 3 times to obey - she hit him first in the side of his face.  Mark my word, this won't be the last time she will cause trouble. She has a violent history.

Valued Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I also heard the sheriff state this on last night's news update.  This would have never started if the girl had obeyed her teacher and put her cell away which was against class policy.  She refused x 3. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of baiting

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

He said she bore responsibility for the officer being called in, NOT for the assault.

The CNN link has it, Smaug.