Honored Contributor

Re: Ellen DeGeneres donates $500,000 to fix a Detroit school

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

That's a drop in the bucket for her - I expect people like her who has a ton of money to do good things with it.  If I had her money, so would I. 

It might not be hurting her pocketbook to give this much, but it certainly is a very kind and generous thing.

She is under no obligation to give to anyone, yet she constantly does. 

I really admire how she gives, the places she gives to, and her humility in doing so.

Esteemed Contributor

Ellen did NOT give the school the money.
See the post above yours.
Honored Contributor

neither did Home Depot. It was Lowes. Justin Bieber is donating also a portion of ticket sales. Ellen started the ball rolling.

Respected Contributor

Ellen DeGeneres is an absolute doll for doing this.  However, my personal opinion is that this money is wasted.  She would do better to sponsor individual students for vocational training or college tuition in the future.  The schools have a management problem that cannot be fixed by one very nice person's $$$..  Good for her, but she needs to rethink to whom she is giving money.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

neither did Home Depot. It was Lowes. Justin Bieber is donating also a portion of ticket sales. Ellen started the ball rolling.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Thanks for the correction, @proudlyfromNJ. I realized a sec ago that it was Lowe's was just about to edit my post.

Trusted Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Thanks for the correction, @proudlyfromNJ. I realized a sec ago that it was Lowe's was just about to edit my post.

Thanks for setting the record straight. I watched that show also and don't know how this OP could credit Ellen for the donation. She made it very clear and we all saw who donated the money. Bieber is donation $ 1.00 per ticket sold to his performance.

Ellen gets things done with corporate funding.

But when you post something,you should have your information correct, and not mislead people.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually Lowes donated the money and technology. But yes Ellen has to do with helping everyone because she makes it happen on her show. I love Ellens show, shes hysterical and she is a wonderful person with a heart of gold. I call her Ellen GENEROUS (instead of Degeneres)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

While I can appreciate Ms. X's remark that Ellen might be wiser donating to individual students, is that realistic--considering just how ghastly Detroit's school buildings are?

I think it's better to concentrate first on making the educational environment cleaner and safer for all. Give everyone a chance!

Respected Contributor

Kudos to Ellen for teaming up with Lowes and to Justin B for his donation so that improvements can be made.  These children deserve to attend school in a building that isn't an environmental threat to their health. I am sure they can use the new computers too and the $100 gift card for every teacher and staff member is very nice. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I applaud any celebrity type person who recognizes the needs of others and steps in to help.  It would be morally reprehensible to me to think that any one of them would take all that money they make and not help others.  ED seems very aware of the need to help others.