Honored Contributor

E. R. Braithewaite, Author of "To Sir, With Love, Dies

The New York Times has an interesting piece on this Cambridge-educated diplomat, former RAF pilot and author who was responsible for the blockbuster "To Sir, With Love", which became a well-regarded film with Sidney Poitier playing Braithewaite.  Braithwaite lived to be 104.

The book was his attempt to convey his experiences when he taught in some of England's more squalid slums, and to give a picture of the plight of the post-World War II immigrants of color to the U.K.  Braithwaite was one of those wonderful teachers who breaks through the protective shell of his students and tries to show them the world and how it could be.

Poitier gives one of his powerhouse performances in film, one of controlled intensity.  Nobody can do "righteous anger" like Poitier!

Honored Contributor

Re: E. R. Braithewaite, Author of "To Sir, With Love, Dies

As a teacher of 31 years this story and movie is one of my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

Re: E. R. Braithewaite, Author of "To Sir, With Love, Dies

Braithwaite was disappointed in the film.  I saw it the year it was released and have watched it countless times since.  It remains a favorite.

Godspeed, Mr. Braithwaite.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~