Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing Your Age. Whaaaa?

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I am a person who carries weight around my middle - much thanks to prednisone - and hips so I can absolutely never wear skinny anything. My pants MUST be straight legs and my capris can't be those ones that are slim at the bottom, as that would really emphasize my rotund middle.However, on this board I frequently hear posters malign anyone who would wear capris that are loose at the bottom as being oh so dowdy and passe' and matronly etc etc etc. Why can't some women understand that not everyone has the same body to dress and that we all have to do that which is best looking for us, even though it may not be the current trend? Isn't it sad that these posters have to say such ugly things to make someone else feel bad? 

Wow, it amazes me that my response to you was deleted when all I did was use your line and ask you to apply it to yourself. 

That is not at all what you did and apparently, the moderators agree with me.Personal attacks are against the rules.

Honored Contributor

I dress the way I want....period.

Honored Contributor

It certainly isn't a popular stance, but so many women out there need to rethink what they wear. There is individual style and then there is reaching for something that just isn't there.

In my opinion it involves age, body type, and occasion. Many women don't honor themselves or others that they come into contact with, by not remembering there are specific types of attire that are suitable for various occasions. 

Of course it is a free country, and people can indeed wear what they wish, I'm just saying a lot of women don't look nearly as good as they think they do when they dress sometimes.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

It certainly isn't a popular stance, but so many women out there need to rethink what they wear. There is individual style and then there is reaching for something that just isn't there.

In my opinion it involves age, body type, and occasion. Many women don't honor themselves or others that they come into contact with, by not remembering there are specific types of attire that are suitable for various occasions. 

Of course it is a free country, and people can indeed wear what they wish, I'm just saying a lot of women don't look nearly as good as they think they do when they dress sometimes.

Yes indeed, it's a free country and that applies to expressing opinions and fashion choices.  Of course what doesn't look "nearly as good" to your eyes is your opinion and obviously others don't share that opinion!

Give it time though, perhaps a nationwide dress code will appear.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

First, that's only your opinion.  Second, somewhere out there, there are woman who look at you and think you are fashion challeged.  Third, what other choose to wear or not wear just isn't any of your business.  Why do you even care?  Perhaps that is the way women thought in the 1950's but that's over now.  That judgemental finger pointing at other women...just isn't done anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@meallen616 wrote:

Image result for dressing your age quotes

Sorry, I see you've got 10 stars on this post, but I gotta say, trashy isn't as much demonstrated in how people dress, it's in how they post and how they respond to people.  JMHO.

You reminded me of a couple of recent threads where posters said how classy certain women were, based on how they were dressed.  They didn't know these women, just knew them by sight.

There is so much more to class than outward appearance.  Appearance can hide the trashy inside.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I dress to suit my body, and while that's changed over the years, my style never has. I won't let a number on a calendar dictate how I should dress. 

In the fall, there a lot of visitors from other countries visiting on my little island, and I often see women whom I'd guess are 70+ in bikinis on the beach. For the most part, they're in pretty good physical shape, but they are the age they are. As they walk by, chatting in French or German or Spanish or Norwegian, I've never once thought "she should know better". Instead, I wish that I could feel that positive about my mid 50's self. 

Europeans aren't youth obsessed like people are in this country.

They don't believe in being ashamed of an aging body.

There is certainly a lot to be said for that!

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

I am 67 years old. If I like it, I buy it...but I don't buy things that are too short, too tight, or show too much cleavage...also no stilettos.  I prefer to wear jewelry that could be defined as simple elegance.

I recently had an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner. She walked in with a white lab coat on that was not buttoned. She was showing a lot of leg..heavy legs. When she sat down, her skirt under the lab coat hiked up almost to the bottom of her panties. When she crossed her leg, you could see her panties if you wanted to look. She mentioned that she was 48 years old. She looked it, she was overweight, and she looked trashy. I don't care how good of a Nurse Practitioner she might be, I just found her appearance to be offensive. Should a medical clinic have to issue a dress code for their providers?

I like that you point out that she "looked" 48 as if there is a certain "look" and that she had heavy legs. As if a person with thin chicken legs can pull off the look. 

Your 67 do you "look" that old? or older? 

I wondered, is it O.K. to show your panties at work if you have thin legs but not O.K. if you have heavy legs?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

There is so much more to class than outward appearance.  Appearance can hide the trashy inside.

*applause*

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

First, that's only your opinion.  Second, somewhere out there, there are woman who look at you and think you are fashion challeged.  Third, what other choose to wear or not wear just isn't any of your business.  Why do you even care?  Perhaps that is the way women thought in the 1950's but that's over now.  That judgemental finger pointing at other women...just isn't done anymore. 

@chrystaltree  Wow, didn't you just tell a bunch of us on another thread to "get over it, move on, and that our day had passed & we'd never be satisfied?"  That's pretty "judgmental and finger pointing" in my book.  Report if you like, but in your own words "it just isn't any of your business.  Why do you even care?"

As I said then, I wear what appeals to me, you do the same.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras