Honored Contributor

Re: Does my inside only cat need vaccines?

Kittylo, since there is a variety of responses about the shots, I suspect everyone would recommend a preliminary examination at the very least.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Sabatini2 said:

IMO, no, she/he doesn't. Even my vet feels that animals are over-vaccinated.

2 different Vet's in my city agree. Kitty is 15. Her paws have not touched the dirt in at least 10 years. She never makes any attempt to go out. She hasn't had any vaccinations in the last 8 years.

She was at the Vet yesterday for mild conjunctivitis(mild eye infection) and besides that, she was declared healthy and in very good shape for her age.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

Call the Vets in your area, and just ask them over the phone. They should be honest with you about what is necessary and what the cost will be. I don't believe in over-vac but I do believe in protecting our furbabies, and some vaccinations are necessary. Just be sensible, if you want a pet it comes at some cost.

Super Contributor

kittyloo, I already mentioned that I don't choose to vaccinate my indoor cat, but I was talking about that to the ER doc about a month ago.

We were chatting about 'the old days', back when we were kids, and rarely took pets to the vet's for almost anything, other than spaying or neutering (if that!), and that was about it, unless there was a catastrophe.

How things have changed! Some for the better, but some not.

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 betteb said:

2 different Vet's in my city agree. Kitty is 15. Her paws have not touched the dirt in at least 10 years. She never makes any attempt to go out. She hasn't had any vaccinations in the last 8 years.

She was at the Vet yesterday for mild conjunctivitis(mild eye infection) and besides that, she was declared healthy and in very good shape for her age.

That's awesome! Enjoy your kitty!

Honored Contributor

My cat is an indoor cat. He's 17 years old now. His vet said he recommended the shots but if our cat never went out and never came into contact with any other animal, he really did not need the shots. That was fine for several years and then we wanted to take him to be groomed. He couldn't go anywhere for grooming......because he hadn't had his shots.

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 chrystaltree said:

My cat is an indoor cat. He's 17 years old now. His vet said he recommended the shots but if our cat never went out and never came into contact with any other animal, he really did not need the shots. That was fine for several years and then we wanted to take him to be groomed. He couldn't go anywhere for grooming......because he hadn't had his shots.

chrystal, when that happened to me, I went w/ a mobile groomer who didn't require the shots. Just an FYI.

Respected Contributor

I had a bat get into the house and it was killed by someone (or maybe it died some other way). Everyone (the cats) had to get rabies boosters and the 2 semi feral ones who had not been immunized due to how hard it is to catch them, well, they had to go every month for 3 months and get rabies vaccine just to make sure they didn't get it. So, it forced me to come up with a way to catch them every year and I always make sure everyone stays current. Bats get in once in awhile and I don't want to take any chances. Other diseases can come in on your shoes and if you have other cats outside who are ill, you could bring it in. Most diseases are easy to treat though, so if you feel comfortable skipping the vaccines, that is up to you. Check your state laws though on the requirements for rabies. You may not have a choice, but there are rabies vaccines that last for more than one year.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 betteb said:

That's awesome! Enjoy your kitty!

Thanks SabatiniSmile I think she's very special.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

By agreement with the rescue organization from which I got my cats, I inoculate for rabies every year.

In Florida, rabies is prevalent and uninoculated pets who may get out, are put down immediately, as the racoons and many other small mammals do have rabies here.

My vet also recommends regular medicine for heartworm, but for me (my two are indoors only) that is dicey. Mosquito bites can bring heartworm, but I have mosquitoes only 1 or two days a year. I admit, I had some today. Given the problems from overmedication of cats, though, it seems unlikely that my cats will have heartworm, but some do contract it even if they are indoor cats. My vet says she has about a dozen cases a year.

It's a big responsibility, but I also don't like to overmedicate cats. I do think mine, now that they are getting senior, would be OK without the rabies, as they never go outside, but I made a promise to the group that saved their lives, and I keep it.