Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

When I went to school Driver's Ed was free in my H. S.  When my son was in high school it was not offered and we had to pay for his lessons.  This was 14 years ago.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to get your drivers license?++

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Imadickens wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

When I grew up, minimum driving age in NYC was 18.  Schools didn't teach driver's ed. 

It's still 18 and according to google:  

Licensing laws in New York prohibit 16 and 17 year-olds from driving in New York City.

I think NYC has different laws from the state. I thought it was 21 in the city, not sure though. What year did you apply for your license? I turned 16 in November of 1971 and I got my license that December! I could drive alone before 9:00 p.m. or to and from work or school programs. If you had driver's  Ed you got your senior license at 17, but without it you got it when you turned 18! Plus, we could drink at 18 but not vote until 21, but the fellas could be drafted into war at 18 even though they could not vote!  Now, we vote at 18 and can't drink until 21! Thank God there's no draft, but people can enlist at 18 now, with high school diploma (It may be 17, not sure)!

I think she may the city itself - Manhattan - you can drive in the other boroughs at 17.

The "Boroughs" are the same laws as Manhattan.  The five of them comprise New York City.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

My DH teaches driver education part time as his retirement job.  The course is offered through our local community college and high school students pay $400 to take it.  In our state, 14 and 15 year olds can get an instruction permit ($6) .  They have to have a permit to take driver ed.  If they pass the course they can get a initial license at age 16.  Young people who do not take driver ed have to wait until 18 to get a license.  Students who qualify for the free lunch program in school have the fee waived.   

Respected Contributor

Not sure what it is now but my sister has 2 kids - 23 and 25.  When they were in school, there were very few spots allocated for driver's ed.  Also the cost of the cars, insurance, etc was making it prohibitive so the school system worked with local driving schools and if your child was in school and unable to get a coveted "spot" to take it, the driving schools offered driver's ed at the same cost as the school.  I think it was about $200 back then and they'd administer the test, give the learner's permit and when you were eligible to receive your actual driver's license - the kids had to (along with a parent) go to court and watch a video about bad driving habits and what can happen and then the judge handed out your real license afer verifying that one of your parents was present. 

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

16 year old just earned his permit. That was $100. To take drivers ed at his high school is $140 in fees to the school and $595 to the drivers ed company that teaches it- it includes 2 days a week driving with the instructor.

I remember when this was part of high school... you attended after school, took a test and had your permit. Then, they mailed you your licence after.. a year?

He has to have a permit for a year (must have it before taking drivers ed), then takes the drivers test in 13 months (more fees).  Oh, my insurance will jump by $1200 a year due to him.

GADS.

Edited title.

It's been like this for years nothing new. And if they get good grades ect there are discounts. 

Respected Contributor

My daughter had "on the road" driver's ed in high school. You signed up and the teacher came to pick you up in the car after school. It was free. 

Honored Contributor

That was before my time and I'm 56.  Drivers ED was offered after school at my school but there was a charge for the lessons.  I don't remember how much but high enough that my parents wouldn't let me take in school.  The RMV always charged for the written test and Learner's Permit.

Respected Contributor

in NY state we could get a permit at 16.   in order to be able to drive at night at 17, we had to pass Driver Ed in Summer School. there was a fee i suppose, do not recall. i still had only the permit because the waiting period to take the road test was like 3 months.

each instructor took four students in the instruction vehicle. the car had driver side brake and accelerator.   there was also a brake pedal on the passenger side where the instructor sat. we kids took turns driving and observing.

imagine cruising the streets with  a bunch of giggling teen girls.  lol well it was my turn to drive. we were on the local highway (one lane each direction)   i was going about 40mph and could not handle this big 72 Mercury sedan. suddenly i was tailgating because i was driving too fast.   the instructor said "Ease up on the brake!! Ease up on the brake!.  there were two brake pedals.   i froze .  he didnt react in time. i was so panicked and plowed into the next car's bumper. oops. the bumper had caved in.  the instructor and the other driver exchanged insurance papers.  no more driving that week!

guess i passed Driver ED because i got to drive at nite at 17.  but i flunked my road test the first time.  i think flunking once or twice is a good idea for kids. makes them take it  seriously.

does anyone remember the folded amd perfed  card driver's licenses?