Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a relative that leaves you scratching....

IMO, there is no comparing the cost of a common toilet part (and it is irritating they cost as much as they do) to professional landscaping (an art form) that includes stonework (another art form).  There's also no indication here that this woman did not fix her toilet or that she allowed it to be at any time inoperable.  This thread is really very sad for what it tells.  I hope this woman thrives, her yard should certainly turn out to be a pleasure for her during her remaining years in that house.  May her toilet continue to operate as it should, also. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Diva on The Q   I don't care if she keeps her money in a can buried in the backyard.  When she showed my sister a 6 figure check and the only account she has is checking my sister mentioned putting part in checking, some in a readily available savings account and invest the rest. Earn some interest for Pete's sake. She had no idea what my sister was talking about. 

Hey, if she's 80 and has no money left it's her problem.  But she'll have a nicely landscaped yard.  She can sit by her firepit and keep warm.

BTW, she never hesitates injecting her 2 cents in others lives. Knowing her she will look to a relative to help take care of her.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   The way you are injecting yours about her life here?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3  I never gave this woman a thought until I saw her this past 4th of July.  I hadn't seen or spoken to her in years. This about 6 weeks after DH died and I didn't get a hi,how are you?  I got I'm surprised you're out and about with xxx just dying.  

I was at my sister's w/family not out at a night club. From there she commented on what I had on, what I put in my mouth, bashed my niece's clothes and complained the 2 and 4 yr. old who were spalshing in a kiddie pool no where near her.

So, no I don't feel bad putting my 2 cents in.  She may have been left a substantial amount of money, but no anywhere neart Getty or Rockefeller substantial. She doesn't have or never did have common sense.  She is book smart but not in common sense.

If I believed her father could see how she is spending the money he valued more than people it would tickle me pink. Forget rolling over, he would be doing cartwheels.

I'm glad she got the money everyone thought her Dad was doing to have it packed in the casket with him.  He was a terrible person. I have no respect for someone with money but takes advantage of his church's food bank. He took food that someone could have used instead of spending his own money.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  No. 

It’s her money. She could die tomorrow.

Scratch your head and move on.  Find a hobby...one that isn’t living and breathing. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

All I can say is that I think the cousin made a mistake discussing money and showing a check to others.  But that is her business.  However, if I had been the sister that she showed the check to, first I would have put a hand out & told her it was none of my business.  If I did happen to see the check there is no way I would share that information with anyone else.  It is now gossip, pure and simple!   And I have been in situations along these lines & just kept quiet, period.  She can tell or discuss with anyone.  But I would just refuse to be a part of any part of that discussion about her money, how much, or how much she spends on anything.  Not my business! 

So the last thing I would be doing is scratching my head over how she spends her money.  My concerns are my finances & how I spend my money.  Which by the way are no one else's concerns except my husband's.  One reason I don't discuss expenses or our finances with anyone else.  So to answer the question, no I don't have a relative that leaves me scratching my head.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Cakers3  I never gave this woman a thought until I saw her this past 4th of July.  I hadn't seen or spoken to her in years. This about 6 weeks after DH died and I didn't get a hi,how are you?  I got I'm surprised you're out and about with xxx just dying.  

I was at my sister's w/family not out at a night club. From there she commented on what I had on, what I put in my mouth, bashed my niece's clothes and complained the 2 and 4 yr. old who were spalshing in a kiddie pool no where near her.

So, no I don't feel bad putting my 2 cents in.  She may have been left a substantial amount of money, but no anywhere neart Getty or Rockefeller substantial. She doesn't have or never did have common sense.  She is book smart but not in common sense.

If I believed her father could see how she is spending the money he valued more than people it would tickle me pink. Forget rolling over, he would be doing cartwheels.

I'm glad she got the money everyone thought her Dad was doing to have it packed in the casket with him.  He was a terrible person. I have no respect for someone with money but takes advantage of his church's food bank. He took food that someone could have used instead of spending his own money.

Highlighted point #1.  Was she glued to your side the entire time?  It was certainly your choice to move or stay.

Highlighted point #2.  Rest assured, her father cannot see how she is spending the money now.  It's hers...he left it to her...end of story.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft  Actually we were all either in the kitchen getting food ready or out on the deck eating and watching the small kids.  The teens were palying games in the living room.  She wouldn't go near them.  She wasn't glued but yes she was always around. 

Respected Contributor

Do I have a relative that leaves me scratching my head?

Every single day!

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Jaspersmom   I am the person who has a big family and there are no noticeably odd habits that I know of.  My mother was one of 8 and my father was one of 11...everyone of them had lots of children.

i have never scratched my head over anything any one of them has done.

I also don't think your mother's habit of reusing aluminum foil is an odd behavior.  It was a normal behavior for people of a certain age that lived during hard times.  Just about everyone can remember their grandparents or parents doing this.

My whole family lives pretty well..no hoarders, no houses falling down, no spending money they don't have.  Of course I don't know follow every inch of their lives, but outwardly, they all seem pretty normal.  No one sticks out as an odd ball and makes me scratch my head.

Odd isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It's just different.  I totally understood why my mother saved aluminum foil, but it was a bit quirky.. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@RoughDraft  Actually we were all either in the kitchen getting food ready or out on the deck eating and watching the small kids.  The teens were palying games in the living room.  She wouldn't go near them.  She wasn't glued but yes she was always around. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2    It's too late now to advise this, nevertheless, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation with this woman, I'd advise joining the teenagers in the living room.  lol

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~