Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever order from the kids' menu?

No I don't because a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets are not what I want to eat.  I will order an appetizer if I am not hungry or if there is nothing that sounds good on the regular menu.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have.  I eat small portions.  Sometimes a restaurant won’t permit it.  I don’t do fast foods.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually do quite often and not due to cost. It's due to portions. Everything is so large and supersized nowadays.  I asked for a steak, or a  burger not for half of the cow. If I can't order from the kids menu then I will always order from the Lunch Menu when permitted, or as others have stated just an appetizer. Here is another tip. I am only 51 and I have ordered from the Senior menu as well with no problem. 

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat   I do quite often. I agree with you Most restaurants these days serve really super size servings on the regualr menu. Way too much for most of us for 1 meal. I often order the smaller size items or if on the regular menu, get a to go box to carry home with me what is left.. Another option i think for some resaurants is their senior citizen menu. A lot of those servings are smaller also if you qualify.

We all have t o do what is best for our health.

Esteemed Contributor

I really dislike heated-up leftovers, but Mr. Sunny doesn't mind, so I order a regular dinner and bring home the remainder for him. The next day he has a nice lunch.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I don't order from the kids' menu because I usually don't like the menu items. If I'm not very hungry, I'll order an appetizer - 6 toasted ravioli is usually a big item here in the St. Louis area.....or I'll order a bowl or cup of soup. If I want something from the main menu, I order it because I know that DH will always eat the extra portion at home.

Honored Contributor

Love the concept of a "smaller portion" menu.  I like to order an appetizer a la carte, or a side salad and soup, and have done so in casual family restaurants where portions tend to be too big... 

Respected Contributor

We had company visiting last week and went for lunch when they arrived.  They have spag. and meat balls on the menu but she figured it would be a huge portion.  It was also on the kids menu and clearly stated:  for children 10 and under.

She asked the waiter if they had a smaller portion or 1/2 portion and he said no.  He immediately followed with "I'm happy to bring you the same thing from the kids menu."   She was happy and said it was excellent.  She couldn't even finish it.  Even it was a large portion. 

We all thought that was great customer service.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

No, I've never ordered a kids' meal.

I frequenly order something from the appetizer menu.  The portion is smaller, for one thing.  And sometimes the options are healthier - it just depends. 

I've done that many times too.  Or sometimes an appetizer and a salad.

When I do order regular lunch or dinner food (which is most of the time), I almost never finish it.  Depending on the restaurant, I take what's left home, and I'm happy to enjoy it the next day.  Portions nearly everywhere are too large for me.  

Respected Contributor

No.

An appetizer only, yes plenty of times.

-Texas Hill Country-