Honored Contributor

Re: Do you answer your home phone without checking caller ID?

I love caller ID!!!!!!!!  I NEVER answer a call if I don't recognize who is calling.  If it's a legitimate call and they begin to leave a message, it's easy to just pick up the phone then, if it's a call you want to accept.  Often, I will Google a number I don't recognize.  If it's been reported as spam, I add to my "call block" list.

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

We're old school...we answer the phone!

Old school 

new school

i have caller ID since it came out and only pick up when I know who it it is

probably one reason why i get few junk calls 

Respected Contributor

Kathy, I am 100% with you-and I turned off my answering machine because of automated calls that call you, and put you on hold for five or more minutes until a human is on the line. I check caller I'd: if it meets the criteria you mentioned of not being identifiable etc, I have saved myself time and aggravation.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

I scroll through my missed call list a couple of times a week.  IF I see a number repeated and no message was left I add the number to the blocked call list.  Saves so much aggravation.

Respected Contributor

Never!

Honored Contributor

I will only get up to see who it is if it rings more than once.  If I recognize, I will answer it, if not it can go to the answering machine.

If it's a robo call, nomorobo hangs up on them after the first ring.

Respected Contributor

We have all of our friends and families programmed into our mobile phones.  (We ditched out land line last year,)    If caller ID doesn't show the name or telephone number we recognize, we don't answer.  If it is an emergency, they will leave a message and we will call back.  More often than not, when I check the phone number on the Internet,  it is a scam number.  I always block those numbers on my phone.  We rarely have robo calls anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly I can't imagine answering the phone today without seeing who's calling first!!...and this is on my land line.  I rarely get annoyance calls on my cell phone.  However even being on the "do not call" list we get several annoying calls each day.

Now that my husband will be turning 65 in a few months we've been getting a LOT of calls from places....names of towns & cities popping up.  At first I thought it had to do with the election but then I realized it has to do with trying to sign my husband up for supplemental health insurance.  ....who in their right mind would do so from a cold phone call? 

Respected Contributor

Transferred home number to a cell phone.  Now, no issues of who's calling, they can leave a message.

Respected Contributor

Love caller ID. Wouldn't keep my land line w/o it. One other observation. Since the election is over, I've had way fewer "unknown" calls.