Respected Contributor

Re: Do you answer your home phone without checking caller ID?

I don't have caller ID. The phone rings, and I answer. With four  ailing parental figures who depend on me-- mother, father, stepmother, aunt, all 90 or older--I pick up the phone no matter what. On the cell, it tells me the number of the person calling ( is that caller ID? ), but I answer whether I know the number or not. It often is a caregiver or someone I don't know who is calling about one of my loved ones.

Esteemed Contributor

We never answer any calls from unknown callers. We have an answering machine too, so if they dont leave a message we know the call is bogus.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

One of my sisters was a foster mother who would receive calls from all hours. Most of the case workers after hours would use their personal cell phones to call my sister when they had to place a child with her. Most of these calls showed up private caller for obvious reasons. My sister always answered her phone and she also knew to hang up if she got a prank call. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Absolutely not! I don't answer my land line at all anymore. The ringer is off and it goes straight to voicemail. I was going to get rid of the land line completely when I changed my internet service, but the bundle made it cheaper to keep the land line. My cell phone only gets answered when I recognize who is calling.

I'm with you 100%.  My landline ringer is off most of the time, unless there's a compelling reason for it not to be.  Very few people who I actually know call that number, and those who do have my cell also.  I pretty much only keep it for the reason you stated (part of a bundle), but also because I've lived thru too many disasters when landlines were the only phones that worked.  So I like having it.

And I never answer any of my phones unless I know who's calling.  That's what Caller ID and voicemail are for!  Back in the day, I remember screening calls by listening to messages as they came in.  My phones are for MY convenience, so I don't answer every call or feel compelled to run to the phone or speak to anyone just because they've decided to call at a particular moment.

I think someone mentioned Nomorobo.  I have that, too, and it's wonderful.  Robo calls ring once and don't even register on Caller ID.  Things have been much quieter here since I got it a year or two ago.

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I answer everything most of the time without even looking.

It isn't my phone but it is in my room and I can't see who is calling without getting up (lazy)so I reach back and pick it up off of a high dresser.

These people call everyday asking if we want solar panels.

Various scammers make their daily appearance.Smiley Frustrated

@Pqfan

From what I've heard on a local news story about scammers is that solar panels is one of their new schemes....along with walk in bath tubs.....

@Spurt Thanks for the heads up. They call here a lot. Just when I think they are done here they come again. I guess because I keep answering the phone lol Smiley Happy

Funny I should see this. When I get a call on my cell from an unfamiliar area code, I don't answer, and try to look up who the # is. I had one today that other people had reported to be selling solar panels. I just block those numbers after the fact.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I think that "caller ID" should be required on EVERY phone and we should not have to pay extra for it. 

Today, it is a safety issue to me!  Cell phones show you who is calling, why not a landline? (Without paying for it.)

I didn't know that people still paid extra for Caller ID.  It's been included on both my landline and cell phone services for many years.  I guess I thought it was the same for most of us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Landlines no longer can guarantee anyone safety. Even the medical groups do not use their names when calling - same for most businesses. They say unavailable, toll free, wireless, etc. Very few names listed and it drives me crazy. Yes, I check but it rarely says who is really calling. Times they have changed.

The calls I get almost always say who is really calling.

Every medical facility I deal with (doctors, hospitals, etc) all show on Caller ID.  If it's a doctor who is returning an emergency call after hours, that might show up as something more anonymous, but in that case I'm expecting the call, and so I answer if it says, "Name Unavailable" or whatever.  But during the day it's crystal clear where those calls are coming from.

I've also never had a legitimate business call me without a name showing (the name of the business or the name of the person calling).  

In my experience, the ones that show up with no identifying information are almost always calls I don't want to answer.  And the calls I want to answer pretty much always show specific information on CID.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I answer everything most of the time without even looking.

It isn't my phone but it is in my room and I can't see who is calling without getting up (lazy)so I reach back and pick it up off of a high dresser.

These people call everyday asking if we want solar panels.

Various scammers make their daily appearance.Smiley Frustrated

@Pqfan

From what I've heard on a local news story about scammers is that solar panels is one of their new schemes....along with walk in bath tubs.....

My son kept getting calls about some type of home improvement (I can't remember exactly what it was) until he told them that he rented an apartment (not true), and was not a homeowner.  The calls stopped after that.

Once I mistakenly answered my cell and it was one of the Microsoft scam calls.  I cut the guy off by telling him I didn't have a computer.  He was dumfounded, and had no idea what to say.  Silence for a moment, and then he hung up.  I haven't received any of those calls since, and it was more than 2 years ago.

Usually I'm a big advocate of not answering.  Engaging these people is not a good idea because then they know they have a viable phone number.  So I would never advise "playing" with these callers.  But there are things you can say - if you find yourself speaking to them - that might convince them you are not the target they want you to be.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME

when you get a junk call on the iPhone

you can block contact, quite easily,

I am sure the same can be done on Android as well.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

We answer our phone whenever it rings.  We still have a land line.

We do also, but we have caller ID and an answering machine.  We NEVER answer the phone unless we know who it is - and we want to talk to them (sometimes you don't have time to talk).