Valued Contributor

I am an AOL user since the mid  1980s or so.  Back in those days you paid through the nose just to use it.....it timed you  Several years ago, I was paying $6.95 a month until a friend told me to call them and get it for free, which I did.  I have a unique and short screen name and that is why I say I stick with AOL.  Think I am just used to it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use AOL?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Though I haven't read any of the replies, because I've never had AOL and don't know of anyone who still has it, I'll share this:

Around 2010, the federal agency for which I worked sent out an email to all employees from the Computer Security folks.  Contained within that email was advice that if you had an AOL account, it would be in your best interest to discontinue that account and open an account with a different carrier.

@sfnative

It would have been interesting to know WHY .... or don't you know?

@Tinkrbl44

Don't know if this is the reason but AOL was going through a transition period and perhaps it was thought they wouldn't be as deligent about security....first they were bought by Time Warner 2000-2006, then someone else took it over, ...there was a lawsuit back in 2012 regarding their Computer Checkup software that someone referred to as "scareware" but the situation was resolved. A security breach in 2014 but it only impacted 2% of customers and situation has been corrected (gmail has also been hacked several times too).....and then Verizon bought AOL in 2015. they said they plan to merge Yahoo/Aol.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Never used anything but the free version, briefly. For many years I used Earthlink, and Eudora software (that'll date me) for email, but in both cases, their upgrades and changes just got to the stage where they would be less functional for me with each change.

I switched providers, and then a year or so after that Eudora stopped being a standalone program and was bought out by/merged with someone - possibly Firefox. 

As far as I've been able to google it's PC or Mac only, no apps for tablets that I have seen.

Interestingly there was a phone scam going around a few years ago. A co-worker and I both had it tried on us. People in Asia were (probably randomly) calling people and insisting they were a collection agency for AOL and I owed back payments for about 10-12 years.

I'd never paid for it, and if as they claimed I did, the credit card I used to pay for the account would have been long dead, so they would have cut me off way back when. But nooooo - they tried to convince me that without payment for as long as 10 years, they'd been providing me services all that time for free - but now they wanted the $$.

I asked them for a copy of my account info and my "bill," and never heard from them again.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Aol has an APP

http://aolapps.aol.com/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde

Aol has an APP

Thanks, @Spurt, but I want nothing to do with AOL - never did. It was the Eudora (a standalone email program) that I don't believe has apps, but I'll double check.

I used to LOVE the program but they changed it a LOT before it went free source, so not sure I'd want it now anyway - though I'd try if it was available.

I've had gmail for a very long time, and generally prefer it to anything else because I can access my email from anywhere, any time.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

A friend of mine has AOL and she showed me all the features and options she has and I really liked their spam features....But I have another provider and it would be too much of a hassle to switch...

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde

Aol has an APP

Thanks, @Spurt, but I want nothing to do with AOL - never did. It was the Eudora (a standalone email program) that I don't believe has apps, but I'll double check.

I used to LOVE the program but they changed it a LOT before it went free source, so not sure I'd want it now anyway - though I'd try if it was available.

I've had gmail for a very long time, and generally prefer it to anything else because I can access my email from anywhere, any time.

@Moonchilde

you can do that with AOL also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde

Aol has an APP

@Moonchilde

you can do that with AOL also.

But I have no reason to want to use it. I'm perfectly happy with my Net-residing email from gmail and others. The fact that I can easily access it isn't the only reason I prefer it. I have, actually, always disliked AOL on the whole.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use AOL?

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

yes, i am sure everyone has their own valid reasons for using whichever provider or providers they use. for me, AOL has worked out very well.....back when i did pay for it and for the many years that  i have now had it for free. i also use gmail, but it is secondary to aol and use my internet service provider.

just wanted to make sure that those considering switching over to aol know that they can also access their email from anywhere at anytime.....with or without an app.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Had to check the date of the OP to see if it wasn't from a thread started in 1998. 

Remember AOL well. It was for fun, and CompuServe was for business. In the early days, CompuServe charged for every email sent and received, something like a penny and a bit per message. I don't think they realized that forcing us to pay for incoming mail would lead to an early outcry against spam, and the rulemaking prohibiting it.

AOL was infamous for its regular mailings of installation discs, which it seemed to send to every household in America. I had a collection of over 100 before I finally pitched them all.