Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like Your First Name Or Have You Ever

Have always liked my first name, and also my middle name.  They go well together.......

Valued Contributor

When I was growing up, I hated it. I was very shy and even though my name is spelled exactly how it's pronounced and it's an easy name to pronounce, the teachers could not get it right. I had to constantly correct them (as they asked us to do that each school year) and being so shy, that was hard for me. Then as an adult, my given name is very close to a name that is a bit longer and has a couple of nicknames associated with it. I would introduce myself and people would decide that my name must be a nickname for that other longer name and then they'd proceed to call me by the OTHER nickname associated with it. It's hard to explain without saying it but it was very, very annoying. If I tell you this is my name, that is what I want you to call me, not something you decided should be my nickname. I find that very rude.

I do like my name now that I don't have to correct the teachers, but I don't like it shortened as many tend to do. Just call me by my name, nothing else, and we are good.

Respected Contributor

Never liked my first name. Began to use a nickname in grade school, much to my mother's dismay.

Honored Contributor

I am named after a Beatles song that my dad loved......it's not Lucy or Penny or Jude......

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In my family the name Bertha went back 5 generations so my Mom was naturally going to name me Bertha. Thank goodness she was asleep when the lady doing the birth certificate info came around so my Dad named me something much nicer. God bless him - he took a lot of flack from my Mom & my Grandma  over that. I love my name - it is pretty and has a nice flow from my first name to my middle name.

@151949, I'm glad for you! That was my worst enemy's name growing up. She was a real bully and put me through some tough times. So I don't have good thoughts over that name. I'm happy for you that your mom was asleep and your dad was brave enough to face their wrath! Smiley Happy

No offense to any Berthas out there though.

Honored Contributor

No, I've never liked my name.  My name is an older name that my Mom liked so she gave it to me.  Now, people are going back to a lot of the older names and yes, even mine.  Poor babies.  lol

Honored Contributor

I don't like my first name, it's a traditional and old fashioned name.  But it's a family name on my mother's side.  It was a tradition that one girl in every generation was given the name and since I was the first granddaughter...I got it.  My grandmother also had the name and that made it easier for me because I adored her.  I don't use the name except for legal purposes, I use a derivation of it just as my grandmother did.  Our side of the family used the anglicized version, the French Canadian side of the family used the French version which I actually like.  The family tradtion died out with me unless one of my children or one of my sibling's children decides to saddle one of their girls with the name.  I don't see that happening.

Trusted Contributor

Another Susan, here Smiley Happy I prefer being called by my full name, but I will answer to Susie; just don't call me Sue. I never felt like "Sue" fits my personality.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

I've always liked my name.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem telling my first name here. I've used it some through the years when I've signed various posts. 

It's Ann and I love my name. I don't have a middle name. 

My mom wanted to name me Blythe, but when you said it with my last name, it sounded kind of Lispy. 

Sometimes people call me Annie and I'm fine with that, but I refer to myself as Ann.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?