Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like Your First Name Or Have You Ever

[ Edited ]

Happy for all of you who like your names!

I have an unusual, for this country, name.  No one can spell it, and it is always mispronounced, not in a good way.

The only up side is that I can usually, except in business, just say hi this is, FIRST name, or just sign FIRST name and it's enough.

Would have gladly changed to my Grandmothers name earlier, but seems that we are stuck with each other now.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

I have always loved my given first name.  I'd never want to change it.  I hate it, though, when people take it upon themselves to call me whatever derivation of my name they wish.  Being I was raised to be polite, I never say anything -- UNLESS it is done maliciously or unkindly in any way (which has almost never happened).  I once had a friend whose grandfather kept calling me a derivation for my first name that I have always hated.  But do you think I was about to correct a sweet, elderly man?  No way!  :-)  If people ask me what name do I prefer to be called, I repeat my given first name.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I like my first and middle name....its not a name you hear very often...I am 74 and have worked in many places....and have lived in many areas...and only one or two places was there someone with my same name...thats what i like about it...

(ps..its not an odd name)

Honored Contributor

Dislike my name.  I have a very odd name.  So odd, I only met 1 other person w/the same name.  My father named me. 

I also have a nickname which is a shorten version of my middle name.  My relatives & friends have no idea what my "real" name is.  They all assume my middle name is my first name.

Since I was 21, I only used my first name for conducting business & my job.  Outside of that, I am known by my nickname.

Jobs were trickier.  I had to inform my supervisors & the receptionists that if anybody calls for a "my nickname" that it was me. Smiley LOL

When I moved where I am now, the manager asked me which name she should call me as she noticed everyone was calling me one name, yet on my "application" paperwork was another name.

At age 66, the only things that has my "real" name on it are my passport & housing application.  Everything else has my nickname including a cc which I rarely use.  Even my drivers license shows my nickname.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

The year I was born, my name was the second most popular name for baby girls born in the USA. I would often have several other girls with the same name in my class and there were 6 in my grade. Some even had the same first AND middle name as I did.

When I went into middle school, I knew it would be a new start so I changed my name. My parents did not want me to change my name entirely, which I had wanted at the time, so I compromised and changed the spelling. I went with the French version because I loved the way my Haitian godmother pronounced my name.

It meant no longer finding any personalized souvenirs hanging from the store racks, but my spelling isn't very common and it distinguished me from all the other girls with the same name.

@ChynnaBlue  Going to venture a guess:  Aimee or Jacqueline? ( Not expecting you to answer.)

Honored Contributor

I love my name and my red hair now, but that hasn't always been the case.  

Esteemed Contributor

My parents did a very dumb thing.  They gave me a first and middle name, but they always called me by my middle name.  I didn't know I had a first name until I started kindergarten.   All the teachers and other school personnel called me by my first name because that was the first name on all my paperwork.  Around 3rd grade I got tired of correcting everybody:  "No, my name is not ___; it's ____."  So I started going by my first name.  Except my family still calls me by my middle name.  I like my first name and wish it was my only name.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

From Sharon to Sherry .... my third grade teacher notified my parents, and it went back to the former.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've wanted to change the spelling. My mom chose one of the other uncommon ways to spell it. It's a pain to correct spelling it and get attitudes from others "you're one of those" as if I did it. I just say my Mom chose that for me. No personalised mugs for me either.

It's also a common short version of a longer name, that I have been called incorrectly, and have to say my given name isn't the one they just said and not on my birth certificate. Only those that prefer their own longer given name tend to do that to me. It seems odd people do that, as if they don't like people having a nickname, and assume you do, so they're going to call you a longer name whether you like it or not. What's up with that anyway I wonder?

Honored Contributor

In all the years I was in school, no one had my name. It is very old fashioned. It's not hard to spell or pronounce, but it wasn't popular

I always felt it was an old ladies name, but now I am an old lady, so I grew into it.