Honored Contributor

Did you teach your children to tell time?

I read an article complaining that  80% of elementary kids in   a certain state didn't know how to tell time, because they got it from and electronic device ,and were never taught how in school

I taught my kids to tell time,  at home ,in just a few minutes using our Grandfather's Clock. It wasn't hard at all, and  was done in no time flat. They had a good understanding of how to do it when we were done

Why do some people think everything needs to be taught in the classroom?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did you teach your children to tell time?

When my daughter was in HS, she said quite a few of them couldn't even tell time on an analog clock.

I think that's pathetic.

Trusted Contributor

Yes and the grandchildren also. They are still taught time in the schools around here.

Trusted Contributor

I learned with a Little Golden Book, "How to Tell Time".  It had a clock with moving hands on the cover.  That was around 1958.  I taught my kids how to tell time and how to count back change.  These days no one is taught how to count back change.  Seems like basic things everyone should know. 

Honored Contributor

Yes...did that bring back a wonderful memory!! We bought the Fisher Price clock and used it for both my daughter and son. My daughter was 4 and my son learned how to tell time at 5. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I think my children might have learned from Sesame Street!

Honored Contributor

i think they learned in pre- school, but i also reinforced with books and toys.

either way they do know how to tell time......on any style of clock. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So are you implying that analog clocks are the only ones that tell time? Electronic devices that have clocks on them tell time too. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, yes, mine could tell time well before kindergarten.  I bought a rubber stamp at a school supply store that had a clock with no hands.  We'd use an ink pad and stamp several clocks on a piece of paper.  I'd draw the hands and ask what time it is or I'd state a time and ask my little one to draw in the hands to match the time.  "Math Snack" was one of my favorite times of day.  We'd routinely work math or clock problems at the kitchen table and eat a healthy snack while working.

I agree that many skills can be taught or reinforced at home. It was my goal to give mine a good foundation before starting school, but some of today's youth are raised differently.  Put the ability to read an analog clock right up there next to reading cursive.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.I got a paper plate & used colorful markers to write in the numbers.I then cut the hands out of construction paper & attached them to the plate with a fastener.My son loved it so much that he brought it into his kindergarten class for show & tell.His teacher was so impressed she invited me to class to help her teach the kids to tell time!!

My son was so proud that day.What a sweet memory!!