Honored Contributor

Dh's retirement and Social Distancing

Hubby is officially retiring on April 30, after 30 years on his job  and it looks like he will not get the chance to even say good by to his work family

His retirement party was canceled a while ago.

I think I am sadder than he is 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dh's retirement and Social Distancing

@I am still oxox ..... Congratulations on you DH's upcoming retirement.

Though you can't have a party now how about having one when this is over?

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg 

he party was being thrown by his office not su

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@I am still oxox ..... Congratulations on you DH's upcoming retirement.

Though you can't have a party now how about having one when this is over?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox Maybe he can have a retirement social event many months from now when the current situation is much better. Many people are going through similar feelings, i think, as graduations and weddings are cancel ed. My neice was planning a June wedding, which is being canceled. Very sad, but necessary.

Honored Contributor

All the big celebrations are going by the wayside. Smiley Sad It's just kind of not the same when it's not on the actual day.  If I were him, I would be there for their first day back to welcome them and also get his thank yous and goodbyes in.  Congrats to him!  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox If he wants to come by the board, I say we all start throwing parties on here for him, the birthdays, anniversarys, etc...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox  His retirement will likely be its own reward... Smiley Wink While a deferred party might not be quite as festive, assuming it's safe to go back into the water by this summer, think about it, a summer event, perhaps outdoors, might be a lot of fun... Beyond summer, though, probably best to just move on... Even the best co-workers who remain behind tend to move on pretty quickly when someone leaves or retires... If his office isn't willing to throw the party later, it would be up to the two of you, and it's understandable it might not be something you want to do...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

One of my friends was supposed to retire this past Friday, but he was deemed essential and his retirement date has been postponed indefinitely. He's a civilian working for DoD. I'm not sure what he does, but I know it involves a fairly high level security clearance. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~