Honored Contributor

Re: Days of the Drive In Movie

@ninjawife 

@On It 

Thank you for the history lesson ladies.  I didn't come into the world till 1959. I wish I was an adult in the sixties.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@ninjawife 

@On It 

Thank you for the history lesson ladies.  I didn't come into the world till 1959. I wish I was an adult in the sixties.

@monicakm Well I was born long after 1959 but I did take an elective on communications in college and learned a lot about the history of televison among other things. 

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

During Covid, one of our local Chinese restaurants started having weekly drive in movies on a large screen, at the back of their  their huge parking lot.

Wait staff would come out to the cars and you could order food.

That was during the time, when people were not going inside restaurants.  It was a great idea.

That was a cleaver idea, too bad more restaurants didn't think of that

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

We went here to see movies when I was a child. TV was not yet available. I would wear my pajamas to fall asleep in the back seat.  If you have never seen them before, these are speakers you hung on the window to hear the movie.The screen showed the movie. The little flat roof building housed the concession area for food and soft drinks. It was a weekly family outing.

IMG_0885.jpeg

Hmmm......my memories are quite different.

Valued Contributor

Talk about the best memories the old drive- in movies.
I being 1 of 7 kids my Dad drove the 4 boys in one car my mom drove the 3 girls in another. When we found our spot my very smart parents put all us kids in one and they in another. I guess they needed a break from us all and make out a little bit LOL
Valued Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Wow, that's a blast from the past!  I remember it well.  When I was probably 5 or 6 years old my parents always took us to the drive in.  Ours had a playground for the kids near the snack bar so we would get to go on the swings until it was dark enough for the movie to start.  Such fun memories, LOL!   We actually still have one in RI, the only one that remains in our state as far as I know.  But those sure were the good 'ol days........

I'm guessing that would be the Rustic on 146?  😊  If you have another one in mind then there's more than one left.

We'd go to the Quaker in the town where my cousin lived.  We'd lie down on the hood of my uncle's car with pillows behind our heads propped up against the windshield watching Martin & Lewis......until the bugs got too bad.  😁    

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Greenville Drive-In Outdoor Cinema - 'Sandy, you can't just walk out of a  drive-in!' Our Annual Labor Day run of GREASE Sing-a-long starts @drivein32  Thursday and runs til Saturday. . . #drivein32 #

Paramount+ Recreates the Frosty Palace to Tout 'Grease' Prequel

YES!! YES!! YES!!!!❤❤❤❤ I get "chills" just thinking about this one!🥰 He was the one that every teenage girl wanted!😁 I even had a poster in my bedroom.😊 Danny and Sandy were golden!💝

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Hopelessly Devoted To You..........Heart

@beckyb1012 When Olivia sang this, you could have put a fork in me because I was done!😁 You FELT her devotion!💝 Good times...

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Grand Happy 

That is so funny!   Cannot imagine all of you kids bouncing around in one car.  Mom and Dad needed some peace and quiet Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Never been in my life at the Drive In.  I heard about them of course, but never experienced them.  

Honored Contributor

Us kids went to the drive in with our parents in the fifties. If they wanted to see a movie we all had to go as they couldn't pay for a baby sitter. We had a Volkswagen bus and had the back seats laid flat with blankets and pillows. We went to sleep while parents watched their movie.