Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Hello to you all! Well, again, God has blessed us with a very beautiful day today! Linus filled the bird feeders before he left, so I was sitting in the patio watching them, some chickadees came, and I saw a finch. This is early for them - but the weather is like a nice spring/summer day, about 60 degrees out and sun!!! That is such a blessing! Hope everything goes well with Linus getting to my niece and the airport - she is buying him a sub! That should hold him over, food is so expensive at the airport. He'll call me tonight when he gets there. He'll be very tired, I'm sure. He flies to Dallas, and they pick him up. Tomorrow Darla's taking him to Houston because she needs to give a presentation and doesn't want to drive the 4 hours along, her husband is busy at work. So that will be nice father/daughter time.

Forgiveness frees the heart and moves us from the victim to the one who
is in control of our lives. Lord, forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.

S C R I P T U R E F O R T H E D A Y

"For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their
life?" ~Matthew 16:26

M E D I T A T I O N F O R T H E D A Y

It is the quality of my life that determines its value to those around me.
In order to judge the value of a person's life, we can set up a standard.
The most valuable life is one of honesty, purity, unselfishness and love.
All our lives can be measured against this standard in determining their
value to the world. by this standard, most of the so-called heroes of
history were not great people. "For what will it profit them if they gain
the whole world but forfeit their life?"

P R A Y E R F O R T H E D A Y

I pray that I may be honest, pure, unselfish and loving. I pray that I may
make the quality of my life good by these standards.

THE GIFT OF LISTENING

But you must REALLY listen.

No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.

THE GIFT OF AFFECTION

Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER

Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you".

THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE

It can be a simple "Thanks for the help" note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.

THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT

A simple and sincere, "You look great in red", "You did a super job" or "That was a wonderful meal" can make someone's day.

THE GIFT OF A FAVOR

Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.

THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE

There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.

THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION

The easiest way to feel good is to make other feel good.

Can I borrow $ 25?
A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 5-year old son waiting for him at the door.

SON: 'Daddy, may I ask you a question?'

DAD: 'Yeah sure, what it is?' replied the man.

SON: 'Daddy, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?' the man said angrily.

SON: 'I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'If you must know, I make $50 an hour.'

SON: 'Oh,' the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: 'Daddy, may I please borrow $25?'

The father was furious, 'If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I don't work hard everyday for such childish frivolities.'

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down , and started to think:

Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn't ask for money very often The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

'Are you asleep, son?' He asked.

'No daddy, I'm awake,' replied the boy.

'I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier' said the man. 'It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $25 you asked for.'

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. 'Oh, thank you daddy!' he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.

The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again.

The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father...

'Why do you want more money if you already have some?' the father grumbled.

'Because I didn't have enough, but now I do,' the little boy replied.

'Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.'

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness.

It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $50 worth of your time with someone you love.

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours. But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.
Mother Teresa Said...

God speaks in the silence of the heart, and we listen. And then we speak to God from the fullness of our heart, and God listens.
And this listening and this speaking is what prayer is meant to be: oneness with God, oneness with Jesus.
A Prayer for Lent
Dear Lord, help me to sort out the little things from the important. Help me to see that no situation is hopeless. Let me always thank You in every situation, even when it appears to be a disaster. Help me to value me and those I love far above the material things of life. Help me Lord to get my priorities right, to appreciate Your life in me and Your love surrounding me.

March 11

Walk by faith, not by sight. As you take steps of faith, depending on Me, I will show you how much I can do for you. If you live your life too safely, you will never know the thrill of seeing Me work through you. When I gave you My Spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength. That’s why it is so wrong to measure your energy level against the challenges ahead of you. The issue is not your strength but Mine, which is limitless. By walking close to Me, you can accomplish My purposes in My strength.

For we walk by faith, not by sight.
—2 Corinthians 5:7 nkjv

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
—Galatians 5:25 – From Jesus Calling

Valued Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Good Morning! I see I missed the hair discussion yesterday, so I'll chime in now. My hair is silver as well, and I plan to keep it that way. A few more inches longer will bring it to bra band length.

I just did odds and ends around the house yesterday. I worked outside awhile, sanding down one of our birdhouses that needs refinishing. The weather really took a toll on it. What a joy to be out in the amazing sunshine! It reached 55 degrees, the high for the year so far. This morning I'll try to organize the two closets to make better use of the floor space. I no longer use the attic for storage except for the Christmas tree, so it's important to have things fit as compact as possible.

Gloria, Hope Linus had a good trip, and won't be too exhausted today. It's so nice that you have a hair dresser come to your home like that. Your red hair suits you perfectly.

Julie, Love a bob cut. Very classic, and looks good on so many women. I've had the bob a few times, but not since it's been this color.

Bobbiesue, I'm glad you're happy with your haircut. I'll bet it's so pretty!

Julie, Beautiful posts again today. Hope you're feeling ok, and having some great weather at your place too.

Hi Harlene! Hope your knee is improving daily.

Hugs to all, and wishing everyone a wonderful day! pinky

Trusted Contributor

Gloria, hope Linus had a nice safe trip.

My knee was feeling a little better yesterday and it was so nice outside most of the snow has melted(hope it stays that way) so I took a walk. Our driveway goes up hill and it is good exercise to walk up and down it, so I did that 5 times, and I felt pretty good. I went to see my Chiropractor last night and he put that Tens machine (I think that's what it's called) on it that he also uses for my Sciatica and it feels a little better today. I told him about the Recumbent bike that I got and he says that would be good exercise for my Sciatica. He also advised me to get a Neoprene Sleeve to wear over my knee especially when I exercise. So I ordered one from Amazon this morning. I hope all this works out because I want to get back on that bike, and get back to riding my regular bike everyday. By that time it should be warmer.

Blessings to all,

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Trusted Contributor

Blessings to all here. I hope you have a good day.

Valued Contributor

I'm surprised I could edit my post since others had posted already. I wonder how, as I don't remember being able to do so before. pinky

Esteemed Contributor

Pinky Ann - We just discussed that I got color yesterday again - if my hair was a nice silver, that would be great - but it isn't, it's like a mousy gray and so I keep the red I was born with, and my sisters who are all much older than me like it!! I was born carrot red, but when I got polio when I was nine and had such high fevers, the color faded a bit but I was still red, maybe strawberry blonde. Georgia is my beautician now - she comes to the house and that's a great blessing!! For $20 for color plus cut, that's affordable, for just hair cuts, shampoo and style, it's 10. She used to have a salon, but doesn't anymore, she's in Home Health Care and also cleans apartments and does hair on the side. She's a widow and lives alone. She has taught me many things already - ideas for decorating, when I had my planter's wart she would have me soak my feet and she would scrap the wart, and put essential oils on it, now with my eye, it's so hard for me to put the drops in, she told me to lie down and put it in and showed me how, and she put it in for me, also suggested that I put a warm washcloth on my eye about 3 times a day - that won't be hard to do. It was so nice out yesterday and after she was done with my hair, we sat out on my swing in the patio and watched the birds, and we saw a couple of eagles soaring in circles - what a sight! She loves eagles!! It made her day! Yesterday it got higher that 60 degrees. Not that warm today so far, but it's still nice out in the patio so that's good. Hope we don't have any more snow. Thanks for your post.

Harlene - Our snow has all melted now - it sure looks like spring has sprung, but March isn't over yet. Sounds like you have a really good chiropractor -that's great! Good that he approves of your bike and suggests you get that brace or whatever that is for your knee. With Amazon.com it comes quickly.

Bobbiesue - blessings for your day! Hope you feel better and your vision improves greatly. That must be hard to drive with blurring vision.

Well friends, Linus had a 2 hour delay at the Mpls. airport, and he got to Dallas at around 1:30 AM this morning. Had a nice flight, and both Darla and Greg picked him up, they all slept in this morning, and Darla and Linus will leave for Houston today sometime - stay overnight, and leave for home after her 3:00 presentation she has to give there. Linus is anxious to listen to her. Then he'll be busy with the projects he came there for. Refinishing her table, (antique) and a dresser he made for her about 5 years ago needs refinishing, and if time allows some work in the garage. I think he'll get a new phone, a smart phone from Darla - his phone, a fliptop, is a lemon, and keeps dying on him, and he has to keep the battery in by using toothpicks and he's so anxious to throw that thing away!! It's always been a bother. But can't bring it back to sprint because he didn't buy insurance for it.

MariaLuisa Burbano-Trivino's photo.

Esteemed Contributor

Valued Contributor

Gloria, If I had someone half as nice as your friend come to my house I could be convinced to color. My hair was a dark blonde that turned to a dark brown as I got older. I want to try the shampoo for grey hair, but will buy a sample first in case it's a dud.

Julie, I've edited just fine, but never was able to if there was a post after mine. I'm just happy it worked! pinky

Trusted Contributor

Went to run errands and got home safely. Please continue to pray for my eyes. Especially my right eye. Thank you all so much.