Honored Contributor

How does this work.My son has a great credit rating but when he went to purchase a new vehicle he was told that if his credit rating was lower he could get a better deal...huh?anyone have an explanation that makes sense for that?

Trusted Contributor

Bewildering. I hope someone can explain it.

Respected Contributor

Did he ask the person who told him what it meant?

Honored Contributor

Who told him this?  The dealer?

most people can get better financing rates if they go to their bank or credit union and get approval for a loan first, then go vehicle hunting.

the dealers can secure loans for people with bad credit who are considered high risk. The dealers make money by securing a loan for their clients and sometimes take a risk to sell a car.  They tend to make more money than they lose in the long run.

Honored Contributor

They said you had to have a credit score below620 to get the advertised deal

Honored Contributor

@Carmiethis was got a no interest 5 year loan.He owns his vehicle and boat.He also has a home and no other debts besides the mortgage.

Honored Contributor

The dealerships in Oklahoma are advertising these vehicles with no interest loans but who knew that they weren't for people with a good credit score.They said nothing about that in the ads.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they are selling the vehicles at a higher price.  Often that is the case with no interest deals.

maybe he can negotiate a lower price and get a good financing on his own.  There is no way anyone will put a deal out there where they lose money... no way.

Honored Contributor

That's ridiculous.  We only want to give people with lower credit scores the best financing.  I'd tell them they just lost a sale because of this.

Honored Contributor

I think he needs to go to a different dealer