Valued Contributor

Christmas gifts for homeless children

I am looking for gift ideas for homeless children.  Little kids are easy.  I need ideas for teens.  Can anyone help me with 10ish dollar gifts for boy and girl teens?  Not gift cards.  

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts for homeless children

Is this through a particular organization?

If so, most of the time that organization/non-profit

needs cash so they can specifically purchase items

for the children to fit their specific needs/wants.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We do backpacks for homeless teens every Christmas. Our downtown library distributes them. I buy backpacks all year when I find them on sale, they like them to be suitable for either guys or gals... each pack requires a winter scarf (I look for black, gray, navy, or brown) gloves, a winter hat, a stainless steel water bottle, a small (50x60) fleece blanket that will fit into the backpack when rolled up, and a ziplock bag of toiletries. Deodorant, shampoo, soap, tooth brush and paste. They also ask us to include a deck of playing cards and a comb or brush. I usually add some warm socks in gray if there is room in the bag.

I hope some of these ideas help.

Honored Contributor

Socks

Super Contributor

I am a supervisor at a youth shelter. Youth love hair product but don't leave out African American specific hair product such as pink oil, etc. Picks, wave caps, brushes for waves, etc. are so popular. A nice bag to put things in...most places put youth belongings in trash bags. These kids are worth much more than trash bags. Some youth like skin care product that others don't think of for acne but if it's going to a shelter, be careful as there may be rules about alcohol content. Same applies for tweezers or other objects. If you are in a metro/urban area, bus tickets are very important.
Super Contributor

Knitted caps, scarfs & gloves

Books for young adults

Scented body care items (lotions, body mist, etc)

Journal & Pen

Sometimes if you tell the store manager what you are doing, they will give you a small discount.  That might enable you to by an additional gift,  

Bless you for your generosity in helping these young people have a nicer Christmas!

Honored Contributor

books

card games like UNO

personal care items

crazy print socks

games like connect four, trivia games, cranium, pictionary, etc.....

art supplies and paper

beanies, ear muffs, baseball caps

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Gloves and socks 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022   Why not gift cards?  They can get what they want and/or need themselves.  Also, they will enjoy doing their own shopping if homeless.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

These are all great suggestions.  I would also include a gift card for coffee shops, restaurants such as McDonalds and others like it, Panera, Dominoes, etc.  I place the ones I give in a card with a brief statement of encouragement. I place these in the backback as a surpise gift.  Walmart's has those fleece blankets at reasonable prices, $3, and they are versatile.