Valued Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts for homeless children

Thank you!  I really think I should go the cash route.  The local organization knows what is needed, they see these people at least once a week.  They are asking for 200 gift bags.  If anyone knows of a that sells holiday themed reusable shopping bags, please let me know.

Trusted Contributor

Funandsun: I know you said no gift cards but food cards can be quite valuable.  A nun in our community had a stack of gift cards--Walgreens--that she gave to the homeless.  I thought that a great idea for those who think the money donated would go for drugs or drinks.

Valued Contributor

I am not sure about gift cards due to theft, fighting families, etc.  They like to keep it fair, which I understand.  Food is also being collected.  This project is just for children, there will be others as well.  Also, how would they get to the store, food place etc?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

We do backpacks for homeless teens every Christmas. Our downtown library distributes them. I buy backpacks all year when I find them on sale, they like them to be suitable for either guys or gals... each pack requires a winter scarf (I look for black, gray, navy, or brown) gloves, a winter hat, a stainless steel water bottle, a small (50x60) fleece blanket that will fit into the backpack when rolled up, and a ziplock bag of toiletries. Deodorant, shampoo, soap, tooth brush and paste. They also ask us to include a deck of playing cards and a comb or brush. I usually add some warm socks in gray if there is room in the bag.

I hope some of these ideas help.

I applaud you for your generous spirit and kind heart! Giving to those less fortunate is so important throughout the year, especially during the holidays. God bless you😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Also, how would they get to the store, food place etc?

No stores within walking distance near the homeless shelter?  Public transportatioin?  Volunteers to transport the teens?  Volunteers to "gift" round trip Uber/Lyft rides to stores?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

I am not sure about gift cards due to theft, fighting families, etc.  They like to keep it fair, which I understand.  Food is also being collected.  This project is just for children, there will be others as well.  Also, how would they get to the store, food place etc?

That's what I'm thinking. Many towns and cities don't have easily accessible shopping and eating places. A gift card to somewhere like Wal-Mart or Burger King sounds good but wouldn't help in all situations. Several have mentioned hats, gloves, socks, etc. I'd also include a separate bag with toothbrush, toothpaste, wetwipes, deodorant, shampoo, comb, soap, washcloth. 

Respected Contributor

I love the ideas some have suggested of a nice journal and pen, fun socks, card games or other small boxed games, hair products, and maybe scrunches/hair clips, etc.  Those lip balms flavored like candies and soda.  Warm gloves and a stocking cap.

I know they NEED practical things, but every kid wants something "fun" at Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Thank you!  I really think I should go the cash route.  The local organization knows what is needed, they see these people at least once a week.  They are asking for 200 gift bags.  If anyone knows of a that sells holiday themed reusable shopping bags, please let me know.

these are cute......can be found on amazon. lots of choices, but i like these backpack style bags.

10 PCS Christmas Drawstring Backpack Bags for Gifts Party Favor (12.99)

xmas backpack.png

xmas backpack2.png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

They're children.  Toys, books, coloring books.  For teens, clothing or gift card.

Honored Contributor

The OP said she wanted suggestions other than gift cards. I guess gift cards are usually a one or two time use if they are for a food place if there is a $10 limit. Other items like scarves and gloves can be used during cold whether whenever it is needed.