Honored Contributor

Childhood homes....

[ Edited ]

If you've lived in more than one home as a child, which one would you go back to? If only one, would you want to go back for one day?  What appealed to you about the home of your choice as a child?

One home had an enclosed porch and was fun to play in and honeysickle grew up the side and smelled so sweet in summer.  This house also had the best hill out back to slide down in the winter, the neighorhood kids all sled there.  It was my 2nd home.

Honored Contributor

When I was very young I lived in an apartment building in Brooklyn, NY.  We moved to a small house in Queens for two years when I was ten then moved to a brand new home in Cherry Hill, NJ.

The NJ house is about an hour away from me now.  What I liked about the house at the time was the central AC that most people didn't have back in 1965. 

It also had a nice big yard and back then Cherry Hill was not as built up as it is today....it's much too congested and I just don't like that area anymore.

I don't think I would go back to any of those.  I really like my house in SE PA!

Super Contributor

Re: Childhood homes....

[ Edited ]

I would go back to the home I lived in from birth to about age twelve.  It was a house built in the 1930s and had a semi-finished basement and a finished upstairs where my bed was after getting out of the baby bed.  Now granted the basement was underneath the level of the land so it was darker and a bit forboding at times.  We had a coal-burning furnace so we also had a corner where coal was delivered to use in it.  I told my father once when he was stoking the furnace that there was a dragon in there because of the flames and the heat. Smiley LOL  It wasn't so much the house as the great memories I have of growing up in that neighborhood.  As an adult driving by the house on occasion, I'm surprised at how small the house and the lot are.  But back then it was vast in my child's mind.  As a reference this time period was in the 1950s and the area is in Nashville,  so life was a lot different then. 

Honored Contributor

I couldn't afford today's purchase price.   Nearly $1,000,000 for a 100+ year old house in the City of Chicago.    Remodeled, of course, but a ridiculous amount of money for an old brick bungalow.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

None, too much crime.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

If you've lived in more than one home as a child, which one would you go back to? If only one, would you want to go back for one day?  What appealed to you about the home of your choice as a child?

One home had an enclosed porch and was fun to play in and honeysickle grew up the side and smelled so sweet in summer.  This house also had the best hill out back to slide down in the winter, the neighorhood kids all sled there.  It was my 2nd home.

@qualitygal    That is an easy question.  My brother and I just visited the town where we first lived as kids. It is in Beaver Pa....South of Pittsburgh.   My first memory is that our home was surrounded by Lily of the valley flowers which my mother planted.  I still love that fragrance today.  Everything is in walking distance.  We like to walk thru the neighborhood where we played with friends and rode bikes....pointing out where each of our friends lived.   The town is a walk back in time...and every home is well maintained.  The town park overlooks the river where we can sit on benches and watch the trains go by....The uptown Main Street is filled with many nostalgic little stores and restaurants.  People are still very friendly and welcoming.  We try to visit every summer.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood homes....

[ Edited ]

No way would I go back to the home I grew up in.  It was for sale a couple of years ago for $675,000!!!! (my parents paid $12,500 in 1955) but it has stairs and in an inconvenient area.  Don't miss that home at all!

Esteemed Contributor

I live a few blocks away from my childhood home. Our house is where everyone hung out. We were the first ones to have a computer, Pong and a microwave.

After my parents moved out, the new owners let it get run down and it ended up abandoned, bank owned.

Right before the pandemic someone bought it and flipped it.  I went to see it while they were just finishing it up.  They gutted it. It was remodeled like you'd see on HGTV. Just beautiful.

Both versions were on YouTube the bank-owned version and the for sale version, last time I looked.

Respected Contributor

The home I grew up in, in the Canton neighborhood of Baltimore City is where I would go.  I loved and still love the city, despite the issues of crime.  The house was completely gutted and renovated maybe 8 years ago and sold for half a million dollars. It is 10 feet wide and 90 feet long. But oh my what they did to it is stunning.  It's a stone's throw from Inner Harbor.  As kids, before Inner Harbor it was 'the docks".  There was nothing there but shipping container ships.

Honored Contributor

I  grew up in the home that once belonged to my paternal grandparents. It was huge.  My grands raised 11 children in that house.  It had fruit trees and grape arbors and vegetable gardens. It was a huge property.

After they passed, my father bought the house from the estate. It was the only house I ever lived in before marriage.

My parents also had a second home in Cape May, NJ.  It was small and was only 1 story with 2 bedrooms.

I'd choose the smaller home because, of course, it's at the beach.