Frequent Contributor

When you have a headstone with vases on both sides do you put flowers in both sides even if only one person has passed?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cemetery Flower Etiquette

I usually put them just for the person who passed, but you could do both if you want.  I don't think there are any rules about that.

Trusted Contributor

We put flowers on both sides.  If you are only putting flowers on one side, you could detach the vase on the other side and take it home for safe storage so it isn't just left there empty.  

Honored Contributor

Not sure what is right, but we put flowers in both vases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Flowers in both vases look nice.  Balanced.  I'd probably ask the living relative if she/he would like flowers in her/his vase, just to make sure. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Only one side, my name is on the headstone but I'm still here.

Super Contributor

My Husband passed away, I only put flowers on his side.   It is probably just me, but I would not care to see them on my side.  That seems to be what others do that are close by (Just on the side of one who passed away)

Honored Contributor

I would only put on the side of the deceased. 

I think it is kind of creepy to put flowers on the side of a still living person. 

I love flowers and try to make sure at least a few times a year, I give my mom flowers while she is still alive and can enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

Slightly OT:  my parents bought a shared crypt at Forest Lawn for their urns.  Huge walls of crypts stacked four or five high with marble everywhere else.  They had bronze plaques made, a map of England for my mother and a P51 for my father.  There was a crypt above my parents’ and those relatives would bring flowers for their loved one but the flowers would hang down in front of my father’s name and little plane.  She would be furious and fetch a maintenance worker to climb up and rearrange the flowers.  She was furious when my aunt, my father’s sister, visited once and left artificial flowers in his vase.  She called my aunt to chew her out.

I agree with @Mominohio.  I would only leave flowers in the one vase.  

Respected Contributor

This is a problem have a few lots in Pa commentary I want to be cremated my brother asked me to be buried in Pa. cuz he said he doesn't want to die alone, my parents grandparents aunts & uncles are there,what is going on I live in Az love it just sprinkle me into all places. In Az saw a wall or plots they just go to dollar store with fake flowers the heat just melts them. Some bodies are into walls to save space little urn on there.