Honored Contributor

Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

I keep reading diet menus that say to make cauliflower & mash it as a potato sub - UGGG - I am not a fan of cauliflower, and it certainly doesn't taste anything at all like potatoes.Just because they are both white - that is all they have in common. I way way way prefer to eat just a tiny amount of potato over eating mashed cauliflower.(gag). Do people really think it's the same thing?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

I'll make a Saturday night confession. I've never even tried cauliflower. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

No, no one thinks it's the same thing. I'm eating cauliflower tots instead of tater tots right now and they are delicious. 

Honored Contributor

I slice cauliflower in thin slices on the smaller side and roast with olive oil. Very tasty. But doesn't taste like a potato.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I keep reading diet menus that say to make cauliflower & mash it as a potato sub - UGGG - I am not a fan of cauliflower, and it certainly doesn't taste anything at all like potatoes.Just because they are both white - that is all they have in common. I way way way prefer to eat just a tiny amount of potato over eating mashed cauliflower.(gag). Do people really think it's the same thing?

I love cauliflower.  That being said, it tastes NOTHING like potatoes.  I do mash cauli, but I don't think it's a potato substitute.  I rarely eat potatoes, but I eat cauliflower a lot!

I think they say you can "substitute" one on a lower-carb diet only as it looks similar mashed.  They taste nothing like each other.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

mashed cauliflower is really quite good!! And if you put some butter in it it's even better!!

I have it every few weeks, actually and I think it's EVEN BETTER than potatoes! Smiley Happy

I guess everyone likes something different!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, people do not think they're the same thing.  Cauliflower can used as a "subsitution" (this is the operative word) for a potato.  I find it to be tasty as do many others.  If you don't care for something, you don't have to put it down.  Especially if you've never even tried it, really don't put it down.

Valued Contributor

Oh no I have tried the tots, mashed and riced. To me it's cauliflower, I enjoy mashed potatoes.

Respected Contributor

Cauliflower is not something I enjoy.    I love broccoli though

I saw on a cooking show that they used cauliflower as a sub for pizza crust.    I don't think I would like that 

Honored Contributor

I actually like cauliflower more than potatoes. I don't use it as a substitute, but rather enjoy it on its own I like to roast it with a little olive oil drizzled over it . I also love it raw in salads. I can't remember the last time I had a potato, they don't taste like much.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan