Trusted Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

I like cauliflower, but I don't think it tastes anything like a potato either.   
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love califlower but it tastes nothing like potato.  If you don't like califlower and eat it substituting for potato you will gag.  I like my califlower cooked tender with a little margarine.  I like potatoes all different ways.  Stick with potato.  For white potatoes buy the 5 lb. bag as they have much smaller potatoes in the bag.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a cauliflower "potato" salad that I really enjoy and i can have a good-sized portion without my blood sugar skyrocketing.  Cauliflower is excellent roasted and sprinkled liberally with Parmesan.  

Forgot to mention that mashed potatoes make me gag anyway🤢

Honored Contributor

@151949

As already mentioned, no one thinks they taste the same. I don't think there is anything one could do to make cauliflower taste like a potato. I'll just eat my cauliflower and enjoy it. Maybe they say that because they can look similar if prepared the same way? 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I make a cauliflower "potato" salad that I really enjoy and i can have a good-sized portion without my blood sugar skyrocketing.  Cauliflower is excellent roasted and sprinkled liberally with Parmesan.  

Forgot to mention that mashed potatoes make me gag anyway🤢

@tansy, thank you for including this point. For those who are concerned about their blood sugar, potatoes are a problem. Thankfully, my husband (who is pre-diabetic) and I really do know the difference between the potatoes and cauliflowers. Fortunately, we love them both. So we will definitely include caulifower in our diet even more than we have been.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

If one does not like cauliflower, then they probably will not like it mashed or any other creative way of fixing it.  The same goes for zuchinni (or other veg) spiralized "noodles". Those tase nothing like real noodles, either. 

I think that a lot of disappointment comes when people try to pretend one food is something it is not. That was me in a huge way. I was upset that I was supposed to think that califlower was mashed potatoes. Or rice. And it wasn't even close.   I had to change the way I looked at it. So it isn't potatoes, but does it taste good?  So the zuchinni isn't spaghetti... but does it taste good? Could it taste good if it were seasoned differently? 

Having these creatively prepared veggies allows me to drastically reduce my portions of the other things that aren't so good for me. I am not satisfied with half a cup of mashed potatoes, or rice, or pasta. That leaves me so darned hungry! But I can totally fill up on veggies, and if preparing them in fun, eye-appealing ways helps me eat more of them, then it's a win! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It came about for those that are wanting to cut down or eliminate carbs or starches.  You can buy cauliflower rice in the freezer section, same principle.  I like potatoes, rice and cauliflower.

Valued Contributor

@tansy  I substitute riced cauliflower for rice in dishes that call for that. I also substitute it for the pasta when I make macaroni and cheese. My family likes it. I have to limit carbs too. and potatoes or anything starchy isn't possible for me.  I haven't tried it yet, but I have a recipe for "cauliflower crust" pizza. I roast brussel spouts, but have never tried roasting cauliflower. It sounds good, so next time I have a head of fresh cauliflower I am going to try it. Cauliflower potato salad is a great idea for a picnic, so I'll be giving that a try too!

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

I used to only eat it raw as a snack with carrot sticks and dip, but then I tried Lisa Robertson's roasted cauliflower recipe and it was pretty good.  I would be open to trying it other ways.

Contributor

I've never tried it, but I've seen several recipes for healthier mashed potatoes using a combination of potatoes and parsnips. You can easily find the recipes with a search.  You would still get the taste of potatoes, but with less carbs.