Valued Contributor

Re: California Becomes First State to Ban Plastic Bags

On 10/1/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 10/1/2014 MomOf4 said:

Only problem is the thousands of jobs that will be lost.

Mom, do you mean by those who manufacture the bags? I'd hope the business could begin making the environmentally favorable bags.

Hi Noel, yes that's what I was talking about. I think making more environmentally favorable bags would be a great idea too but it seems the plastic bag manufacturers will try to fight the law rather than going into a more sensible business. It's a shame because all those jobs will be lost if they go out of business in California.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Cakers1 said:
On 10/1/2014 Cakers1 said:

Earth Day began in CA... in San Francisco, specifically, the idea was conceived and proposed in 1969, and it got going shortly after. Environmentalism.

And who was around to participate? Jerry Brown, known during his first time as governor as Governor Moonbeam. He was ahead of the times, so was CA.

Sorry, but no hypocrite there.

It began to form roots with the publication of Silent Spring in 1962.

The idea of Earth Day was conceived by Senator Nelson of Wisconsin.

I agree that it all began with Carson's book, but I believe it started here.

Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which day events worldwide are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network,[1] and celebrated in more than 192 countries each year.[2]

In 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco, peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honor the Earth and the concept of peace, to first be celebrated on March 21, 1970, the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere.

Wiki

http://nelsonearthday.net/earth-day/index.htm

It was Senator Nelson who proposed the idea.

It could have been the Zeitgeist effect Smile I remember when it started here and the first one, in a corner of GG Park at 19th Avenue.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

Probably TMI but I ditched the odor shield bags for my dog droppings because the smells clashed and wound up being a terrible combination! Now they work okay for my indoor trash.

Honored Contributor

Only problem is the thousands of jobs that will be lost.

Mom, do you mean by those who manufacture the bags? I'd hope the business could begin making the environmentally favorable bags.

Hi Noel, yes that's what I was talking about. I think making more environmentally favorable bags would be a great idea too but it seems the plastic bag manufacturers will try to fight the law rather than going into a more sensible business. It's a shame because all those jobs will be lost if they go out of business in California.

They should get in on this from the ground floor. This is going to be a big business. Heck, whoever makes the reusable bags for Trader Joe's should have a fortune by now. You see people with them all over around here, even in places like Nordstrom's.

I keep some for food products and others for bringing home new clothes and other things I don't want to get dirt on.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

Probably TMI but I ditched the odor shield bags for my dog droppings because the smells clashed and wound up being a terrible combination! Now they work okay for my indoor trash.

I AGREE! I am not fond of the bags with scents.

Honored Contributor

Are the plastic bags made in the US? I'd probably be shocked if that were the case.

At any rate, as already stated, those making them (who probably already make all kinds of other stuff) could make a mint selling the reusable, environmentally-friendly, bags.

Respected Contributor

I'm not usually a callous person but when it comes to some losing jobs and protecting our environment, I'll chose the environment every time. I don't want my grandnieces to live in a world that's polluted, where the water isn't safe to drink or the air isn't safe to breathe or where wild animals are dying off at horrendous rates. A recent report was released stating that the world's wildlife population has fallen by half in just 4 decades. Half.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Sushismom said:

I'm not usually a callous person but when it comes to some losing jobs and protecting our environment, I'll chose the environment every time. I don't want my grandnieces to live in a world that's polluted, where the water isn't safe to drink or the air isn't safe to breathe or where wild animals are dying off at horrendous rates. A recent report was released stating that the world's wildlife population has fallen by half in just 4 decades. Half.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Yours would be my choice, too.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 chickenbutt said:

Are the plastic bags made in the US? I'd probably be shocked if that were the case.

At any rate, as already stated, those making them (who probably already make all kinds of other stuff) could make a mint selling the reusable, environmentally-friendly, bags.

The Glad bags were made in Canada.

The other brand was made in the USA with a resin source from Italy.

The latter made me wonder what resin really is:

res·in
'rez?n/
noun: resin
  1. 1.
    a sticky flammable organic substance, insoluble in water, exuded by some trees and other plants (notably fir and pine).
Respected Contributor

Those small plastic bags are called t-shirt bags and Sam's Club has pallets of them sold in boxes of 1000 for around $10. We buy paperplates in bulk to feed the cats and when they're done they go into the small t-shirt bag which then go into the can outside. NV usually follows CA so obviously we'll have to use something else if that should happen but cat food is stinky and disgusting and no they cannot subsist just on dry food contrary to what some think.