Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS PARTY ATTIRE - POLL

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

We have very close friends who are Thai.  It's cultural and weaves in with religion to remove your shoes when entering their house.

They provide disposable clean and fresh slippers at the door and a basket in which to toss them on the way out.

The family are wonderful hosts and give a lot of parties, the dad and daughter are great Thai cooks.

They invite a lot of people and we are all free to bring along anyone we like, including parents.  I've only known one person to refuse to take off her shoes, she's an incredibly rude person anyway, and acts all nasty at what she sees as a presumption.  Last time I asked why she continued to attend.  I wanted to ask if it was for the free food but I didn't.

@Noel7

I have asked this before, in multiple other threads, but no one has ever responded with an actual answer, only a sneer of disbelief.

I cannot go barefoot not because I mind taking off my shoes (if I am informed beforehand) but because I have severe plantar fasciitis. Orthopedists and podiatrists (not just the Vionic guy) recommend that those with PF NEVER go barefoot. 

I can, after years of never, EVER going barefoot, manage to go to the loo in the wee (pun haha) hours and back to bed barefoot without pain most of the time, but am very aware (because it happens to me periodically) that going barefoot (i.e. without some sort of arch support) for 10 minutes on a "bad day" (completely randonly) can cause me disabling pain for literally *months* and leave me essentially housebound because it hurts so bad to walk.

I could simply not attend somewhere that I had to be shoeless, period. There have been people on the forums who have categorically stated that they could foresee NO exceptions/reason not to comply, and implied that anyone who said anything to the contrary was lying just to get out of having to remove their shoes.

I'm sure this comes up in those cultures where shoeless households are the norm, and I wonder how they handle it. I can't believe they would be so crass as to think that someone would lie just to not have to take off their shoes. Perhaps it's only Americans who would believe that.

Additionally, being "the" person the spotlight would be on as having to be an exception and deal with the suppositions of others would most likely cause me to decline - which would probably upset a thoughtful, kind host. So...what to do...?

I have wanted to visit the Sikh temple in San Jose for months, but hesitate to go because one must be shoeless in the sanctuary and I don't want anyone to believe I'm "just saying it." So I don't go.

@Moonchilde I'm sorry that you have to live with that condition.  It sounds very painful and inconvenient.  I was wondering if when you know you are going to be visiting a new home you contact the homeowner and ask them if they have a no shoes policy?  I was thinking that if I were in your situation, I would contact people ahead of time, if possible,  to avoid any awkwardness at the front door.  

@RazorSharp, thank you, but it wouldn't likely happen to me. I'm very certain that no one I know now would have such a requirement, or if it was possible they might, that they wouldn't spring it on people unaware but would mention it ahead of time - at which point we might discuss, yes :-)

To hear some people in past threads on the subject, not this thread, everyone should expect this to be a situation that might be encountered routinely. Not in my world -  even when I lived in a very large, multicultural city it would have been rare enough so as not to expect it or not be surprised at the edict.

And it's a very common condition so I would think many would have similar issues. Vionic and 1-2 other companies sell hundreds of thousands of pairs of shoes/slippers each year to people just like me. So you'd think more people might be aware it's a distinct possibility.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@RazorSharp

I looked for insight for the Sikh temple, which also expects everyone to sit on the floor with no back support.  Some can sit next to a wall but they seem to discourage it, this is what they suggest:

"It is, therefore, suggested, that the people having a medical problem may be provided with a speaker in a separate room other than the Sangat hall. They may sit there with some support to overcome their medical handicap. In the Gurdwara we are supposed to be attentive and responsive as a student is supposed to be in his classroom while his teacher is teaching."

Maybe it's the same for shoes.

The Sikh temple I would like to visit states that chairs are available for those who may need them, being unable to sit on the floor. They don't have an issue of requiring people to sit on the floor but presumably do not want people to stand while others are seated on the floor, as a matter of respect, and I get that. Perhaps they differentiate in their requirements between visitors and practicing members of the congregation. They do state, however, everyone must remove their shoes, and do not give any alternatives for that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I'd prefer casual myself. Whatever you decide, good luck with your party and your new home.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

People that are that uptight about wearing shoes in their home shouldn't entertain there. 

Super Contributor

I agree with your husband. Dressy casual is good for a house party. Your guests should be made to feel comfortable in your home. If you ask your guests to dress dressy just to come to your house party, they may think your being snobbish.
Honored Contributor

To me Festive Attire does not mean formal or dressy.  It just mean lets have a holiday party.  Step it up from the jeans and t-shirts.  

On the removing the shoes - the only person I know who asks people to remove their shoes is a neighbor of mine.  I just do not go into their house and I have never seen them entertain.  I was invited to a wedding once where the reception was in a private home and on the invitation it said you had to remove your shoes - I went to the wedding and skipped the reception.  I have some other friends who remove their shoes in the house but they never ask guests to.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

If it were me hosting the party, I wouldn't have a dress code.

If I got an invite that had a dress code, I wouldn't attend.

Not everybody loves getting all gussied up.

Jeans does NOT = sloppy.

Thre are plenty of jeans that look nice.

How about at the party, the o/p can dress to the nines, and just let everybody else cime in what ever they are comfortable in?

Afterall, the party is supposed to be about enjoying each other's company, and not being judged in some sort of fashion show.

The problem therein is that some people are going to feel bad about how they are dressed.  Some will be embarrassed about being over dressed and some will feel sloppy.  Especially if they don't know everyone there well.  

I had a terrible experience once with that.  I won't go into details. . . 

So, you are projecting your experience on to other people.

If everyone is having fun and a good time, then they won't worry about what they are wearing.

That's the whole point of a party, right?  To have fun?

No, none of my friends would be having a really good time if it were a dressy party and they were in jeans, or if they really dressed up and everyone else was in jeans.  Any of us would be embarassed and feel out of place.  I would not be very happy with a host who planned a very casual or very dressy party and didn't give us a clue about what to wear. 

I work hard at dressing appropriately for where I am going.   I don't want to look like I don't know how to dress.  I don't think most people would be fine and dandy with that. 

The point of a party is for everyone to be relaxed and have fun--and how to dress is a big part of that for many of us. I'm sure not ALL of us.  

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

I see a lot of people using the word, 'formal.' I'm not sure, in terms of fashion, if that means a nice dress on a woman and a man wearing a sport coat, slacks and tie, or if it means a ball gown and tuxedo.  When I hear formal, I think of what people wear to a ball, or the Oscars, or a palace.  That would be totally weird for a house party.  

Where I live "formal" was called "black tie" and was a tux for men and a dressy dress for women.  Not spangles and sparkles, but a dressy dress--short or long as times changed.

Now I go to those same events and a dark suit would be fine and the "black tie" has morphed into "business" for men, and ladies usually dress a little more "festive" than business attire or some go for more dressy.  

Business casual is for men slacks and a polo shirt and jacket or a dress shirt.  Depending on the weather, jacket is optional.  For women, nice pants and top are fine. But you are not expected to come casual like in jeans or sneakers or something like that--a t-shirt for example.

Honored Contributor

When did we as a society become offended at being asked to dress up at a host's party? I'm not that old that I remember the days when women wore a nice dress for a PTA meeting or to go out to lunch with friends. I've been to some really large beautiful and average size homes where everyone dressed up and did not feel uncomfortable. What is wrong with dressing up?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

If I was invited to someone's home for a holiday party, I wouldn't wear a dress or a skirt or something very fancy.  I would assume that it was a casual or even a dressy casual party. 

If you want people to dress up formally for a house party, you have to express your wishes on the invitation, IMO