Respected Contributor

Re: Best organization for giving a donation for Bahamas hurricane relief

@Cakers3 I agree that the recipients of the help don't care. However, there are some organizations who have core beliefs that are anathema to many. I wouldn't donate to those organizations for fear they would withhold help to people who's beliefs, lifestyles, gender expressions, etc are not in line with the charity's principles.

With so many doing good works, I'll go with a charity that is more suited to my beliefs. 

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:
A good friend shared this link earlier today.

Thanks, JM - very informative site!

Made my donation last night after reading all the suggestions here.  To me, it's more important to just give to one of these charities and not quibble about who is better or worse.  We each have our own reasons for choosing and I'm not about to claim my way is the best.

Aside from this, I found this story about various cruiselines very uplifting:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a-cruise-line-is-offering-free-evacuations-to-those-on-grand-b...

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

This is about helping people in distress who are suffering serious trauma and loss.  It doesn't matter what your life choices and beliefs are in this situation.  What matters is people helping people.  These organizations and people who are reaching out and lending a helping hand, even to the point of putting themselves in harms way, all get my vote no matter who they belong to or what they believe.    

Heart 

Respected Contributor

If Samaritan's Purse is affiliated with Franklin Graham, then that's a big NO from me.

I want to know who I donate to. Do they also proslyletize while doing "charity" work? If so, I'm out.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I would never give to the Red Cross, but I certainly don't care if others do. I do my research and then give to whomever I think will utilize and distribute my contributions best. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@Marp wrote:

From Charity Navigator:

You can help families and communities affected by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas and the United States today. The highly-rated organizations included in our list have pre-positioned resources to deliver food, emergency shelter, medical care, and other critical items to people impacted by this storm. Charity Navigator has confirmed these charities’ efforts on the ground and encourages donors to support any of the 3- and 4-star charities featured.

List:  https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=7485

Thank you! I do see American Red Cross and Americares on the list, but Samaritans Purse isn't there.

That's Odd. It was there when I checked yesterday !

edited to add:

If you put the name in the search bar it does come up. Samaritan's Purse has a top rating on Charity Navigator.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

If Samaritan's Purse is affiliated with Franklin Graham, then that's a big NO from me.

I want to know who I donate to. Do they also proslyletize while doing "charity" work? If so, I'm out.

Of course you can give to whom you want.  That's just a given! 

If  you were in the Bahama's, stuck on a roof somewhere.... about to drown.... you would be grabbing the first hand ready to get you off of it ....regardless of whose charity they were working for!     

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Of course you can give to whom you want.  That's just a given! 

If  you were in the Bahama's, stuck on a roof somewhere.... about to drown.... you would be grabbing the first hand ready to get you off of it ....regardless of whose charity they were working for!     

The same applies to you, and your point is irrelevant to my post or the topic at hand.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

Rather than focus on the charity that they are NOT giving to, I think it would be more constructive if people explained why they are giving to a particular charity.  It;s more informative and uplifting to provide us that insight, rather than bash someone else's choice.

Honored Contributor

You have to remember that bashing is the name of the game for many posters. That will never change.