Honored Contributor

Re: Beautiful Memorial Service Today for Maya Angelou

On 6/7/2014 MJ FAN 4 EVER said:

What I enjoy about Bill Clinton is that when he speaks it's like he's sitting in your living room and talking to you. He has notes and puts on his reading glasses, but he seems to never rely on them. He speaks from his heart, slowing emphasizing each word. He also puts things in perspective so beautifully. When he talked about her voice being the voice of God that he gave her and needed back... and then that she "paid attention and taught us how to pay attention." He weaves his speeches so beautifully with metaphors and meaning.

I have watched Oprah interview Maya Angelou and you can tell she is so dear to her. I too felt so much emotion watching Oprah's vulnerability. I loved the wisdom Maya imparted on her in her most painful times. Even though those comments were meant for Oprah, I will remember them and recite them when I feel that pain inside, as we all do sometimes.

I lost my Dad a few months ago, and watching memorials just help me grieve. When the pastor talked about caring for our family and that if you neglect your family, no matter how rich and successful you may be, you have failed. It touched me so much as I was my father's sole caregiver and miss him so much.

These are the TV moments that should be aired for all to see. Thanks everyone for responding and I'm glad I posted about it.

Have a blessed day.

I went to a speech Bill gave for HRC back in 2008...he spoke for 90 minutes and rarely glanced at his notes. He is the true communicator among recent POTUS - IMO. I have met him one on one too - my SO worked Carville in his first campaign.

He is even more mesmerizing in person. He has a gift of making everyone feel important and of really listening and engaging with people one at a time. I doesn't hurt that he has a fantastic memory too!

Super Contributor

Oh I missed it! Thought it was going to be on Suday. ): I looked online but not having luck, does anyone know a good link to see the whole service? tia & thanks for this thread OP

Honored Contributor

On 6/7/2014 voyager1980 said:

Oh I missed it! Thought it was going to be on Suday. ): I looked online but not having luck, does anyone know a good link to see the whole service? tia & thanks for this thread OP

It may be repeated on OWN and its probably on youtube as well. Good luck.Smile

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Valued Contributor

i haven't been able to watch any coverage on her passing at all. it's too soon for me and i'll start bawling like a baby and i hate crying. i haven't posted on any of these threads because she was and is still such a great influence to me in my life.

i still have my copy of i know why the caged bird sings in my nightstand drawer. my mother gave it to me during a rough time in my childhood and it's been a part of me ever since.

my mother recently gave me letters to my daughter and mom & me & mom for my birthday. i have so many of her books and i treasure each and every one of them

just typing this has me all teary eyed.

they'll never be anyone like her.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Super Contributor

I tried to post and it said commenting period closed.

Esteemed Contributor

it's still open. RIP- Dr. Angelou

Valued Contributor

Bill Clinton. No thank you.
Respected Contributor

Thank you, I'm so glad this was available to see in entirety also. Just beautiful and so moving. I agree BC has a way with words for sure. Hoping it will be re broadcast .I read that the motorcycle riders of DC formed a blockade so protesters couldn't spoil the tribute.