Valued Contributor

Re: Be Careful What You Ask For

Weather everywhere is so unusual and extreme. Hope you are ok!
Santa Fe is one of our favorite places, hopefully not too much damage.
Honored Contributor

I live in Ohio, and a completely different climate than you do @Kachina624 but I'll be honest, water/heavy rain scares me more than any other weather issues at this point in my life. More than ice storms, snow storms, and even tornadoes.

When I lived in towns with drainage systems, rain and storms didn't bother me much (after we got our leaky basement fixed in the one home!), but out here in the country, we sit very low, and several ponds above ours will over flow if we have heavy periods of rain (not to mention water just runs down hill in general) and then we really have issues with flooded yards, drives washing out, and sometime I'm afraid the house may take on water. 

We never noticed how low this property sits (as the decline down to it is very gradual) when we bought it, but honestly the days of me loving a good thunder storm is over for as long as we stay here. People who don't live where water really rushes in storms don't understand how devastating it can be. 

Honored Contributor

I am sorry to hear about the houses melting. I know this can happen. We have a couple of Michigan mud houses in my area. They are historic homes with plaques denoting this

There was another home made from mud ,on their street. The owner was a bachelor, and he decided he wanted to remove the second story. He took the roof off ,and it rained, and the house disintegrated, If he had a wife ,she would have probably told him not to do it, and the house would stiff be here today

These aren't earth homes, they were made from mud instead of sod. My sil's mother had an earth home, built into a hill, and nothing hurts it.

One of the mud homes is sided with aluminum siding. I  dodn't know if it was to protect it from the elements or what?

I was in it once, and the walls were like a fortress, they were so thick, and it was quiet inside. I was also told it was a dream to heat and cool..

I am so sorry for the people who lost their homes and those in the flood area

Honored Contributor

Later this afternoon I saw a video on Channel 7 Santa Fe, the flooding waters were white-capping.   

Honored Contributor

Meanwhile we are sitting here sweltering in the "rainy" Pacific Northwest!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I hope that you are safe and that your home did not have any damage.

I experienced something very similar in Vegas many years ago and have never forgotten the torrents of rain and how it impacted everyone.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had A LOT of rain and hail here in Colorado. Monday was the worst. Hail and torrential rain came down in bucket fulls for hours on end. I saw this on the news the day after. A firetruck and two cars fell into a sink hole caused by all the rain and hail.

5b579cf44bc88.image.jpg

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  Now will have mud slides in the mountains where there are burned areas.  Last week I heard the Million Dollar Highway was closed due a mud slide.  What a mess this summer has been!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

So sorry to hear about the destruction and damage caused by the monsoon rains.....Why cant there be a happy medium when it comes to rain....

We dont do adobe here--majority is limestone, brick, or wood...so we will take the rain, although there are still parts of the city that get flooded....low lying areas and the type of soil we have that only can absorb so much water cause the problem here.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”