Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Where is Sids....she will set the record straight on the potatoes.

She gets her information from Dr McDougall, the same man that mass produces processed food items that you will find on the shelves of Whole Foods and Sprouts that contain a whole lot of sodium.  But getting back to the subject of potatoes, one has to find the right type of food that strengthens their immune system and potatoes simply don't work for me.  Everything you eat affects the bacteria in your gut and if you want to avoid getting sick you need to find what works for you to build up your immune system.  

I was surprised to see that he sells canned soup. Evaporated cane juice was on the ingredient list.....just another definition of sugar.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lovingq - eating a potato leaves you nervous, anxious , depressed and drained of energy? Alrighty then.

If someone has disordered blood sugar, their blood sugar will rise in response to the carbohydrates about an hour later and then drop precipitously. It is what happens if someone is pre-diabetic. It makes them shaky, nervous and promotes mood swings.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato, Dried Cherries, Feta & Pepitas

salad

Of course, you can tweek this to your own taste.

RECIPE:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/kale-salad-with-roasted-sweet-potato-dried-cherries-feta-pepitas/

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

She gets her information from Dr McDougall, the same man that mass produces processed food items that you will find on the shelves of Whole Foods and Sprouts that contain a whole lot of sodium.  But getting back to the subject of potatoes, one has to find the right type of food that strengthens their immune system and potatoes simply don't work for me.  Everything you eat affects the bacteria in your gut and if you want to avoid getting sick you need to find what works for you to build up your immune system.  

I was surprised to see that he sells canned soup. Evaporated cane juice was on the ingredient list.....just another definition of sugar.Woman Sad

As are the other starches he promotes.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

salad

RECIPE:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/kale-salad-with-roasted-sweet-potato-dried-cherries-feta-pepitas/

@Noel7 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

salad

RECIPE:

this looks and sounds absolutely delish!!

I am hungry now.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lovingq - eating a potato leaves you nervous, anxious , depressed and drained of energy? Alrighty then.

If someone has disordered blood sugar, their blood sugar will rise in response to the carbohydrates about an hour later and then drop precipitously. It is what happens if someone is pre-diabetic. It makes them shaky, nervous and promotes mood swings.

Eaten alone my understanding is that blood sugar will rise and fall in this manner in non-diabetics (and pre-diabetics) as well.  

The response will be mitigated, however, if eaten with a good protein source.

I am not diabetic nor pre-diabetic and I can't eat just a potato or bowl of rice or bread alone without feeling adverse effects, most notably a decline in energy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad potatoes

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Eaten alone my understanding is that blood sugar will rise and fall in this manner in non-diabetics (and pre-diabetics) as well.  

I am not diabetic nor pre-diabetic and I can't eat just a potato or bowl of rice or bread alone without feeling adverse effects, most notably a decline in energy.

Blood sugar will rise and fall in everyone but the curve is different for someone with disordered glucose chemistries. For example, if someone with a healthy pancreas eats a slice of bread that produces just the right amount of insulin to cover a potato, they will not drop precipitously in blood sugar and promote hypoglycemia. However, if someone with disordered blood sugar eats that same potato their blood sugar will rise and then go too low, thus a precursor to diabetes.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Blood sugar will rise and fall in everyone but the curve is different for someone with disordered glucose chemistries. For example if someone eats a slice of bread that has a healthy pancreas that produces just the right amount of insulin to cover a potato, they will not drop precipitously in blood sugar and promote hypoglycemia. However, if someone with disordered blood sugar eats that same potato their blood sugar will rise and then go too low, thus a precursor to diabetes.

LOL...reread your reply about the slice of bread @Trinity11

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad potatoes

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd

Actually, she isn't as nutritionally knowledgeable as she'd like you to believe.   Don't be bamboozled!  There are too many gullible people out there.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

What I noticed is that potatoes go bad faster after buying than thet used to.

We have noticed that as well.  It is especially true of the organic ones.  Organic fruits and veggies (especially bananas and potatoes) also seem to go bad a lot faster than conventional ones.  That sort of scares me.  What are they putting on those conventionally ones???  I know pesticides and herbacides, but there must be preservatives as well.  Organic bananas especially have to be used in a hurry.