Honored Contributor

Re: Are your adult children living at home?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

In the 70s someone could swing an apartment with a minimum wage job...not so now.  

Again it is all relevant....I was making between $1.95 and $3.00 an hour.....not today,s 13-15 dollars an hour minimum wage in many states. 

Wrong.  

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/23/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

You can research your assumptions.

@tansy  It must be hard always having to be right. I do not need to research anything.

Hard?  I suspect it's a walk in the park when she knows what she's talking about.

Honored Contributor

About 20.6 million people (or 30% of all hourly, non-self-employed workers 18 and older) are “near-minimum-wage” workers.

Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

I think that 70% is ridiculously high but more 20 and 30 somethings are living at home now, for a variety of reasons.  A lot of it is just the Peter Pan syndrome.  They won't grow up and they spend their incomes on fancy cars and vacations and gadgets and concerts and trendy bars.  Often there is a plus side for the parents too because if they are smart, they charge the "kids" room and board and bank that money.   No, I am ever so thankful that both my girls were strong, independant, self sufficient young women who went out on their own after college.....and never came back to mooch on us.  Daughter #1 actually left the nest when she went to college, she was less than 100 miles away but she had her own little studio apt and a made good money waiting tables at a $$$$ restaurant.  I think she stayed with us for 3 or 4 weeks after college, and then she out the door.   Daughter #2 commuted to college, so whe had her in the house longer but  once she saved enough to go....she went.   And we sold the house and downsized.  In my world that is the way it is supposed to be.  We get them through those college years and then they leave the nest.......and they don't come back.   I have one friend who has a divorced daughter, the daughter has two little ones.  She does have a good paying job but childcare is expensive and the ex sometimes skips payments.   So, my friend pays the daycare tuition for her grandchildren.   It's a lifesaver for her daughter but my friend does it mainly because she wants her daughter and her grandchildren in their own apartment.....not in her house.  If "kids" in who have passed that mid 20 mark are still "barely" making it; they are moochers who obviously never gave a thought to their future and don't really want to.

How incredibly ignorant!!

Yet your number two did live at home. SMDH

Respected Contributor

I don't have kids, but in my large extended family (including 7 nieces/nephews who are millennials), only one adult child, who has left an abusive marriage and taken her child with her, is regrouping at home. 

The others don't live with their parents.  They have good jobs and good prospects, and two are prosperous, fully self sufficient.  Those starting out in industries with low initial rates of pay are living on their own in apts with roommates, but are receiving some help with the rent from the parents if and when they need it.  One is an award-winning short film-maker but not yet a big money maker; his proud blue-collar dad helps him out.  All those receiving help are starting out in Boston or NYC, very expensive places to live.

Is there a better investment in life than helping out a bit with the dreams of young people?

Respected Contributor

My children both lived at home until they married. I loved every minute of having them home! We never charged them rent or ever asked them for money. We did expect them to help out around the house, which both always did. My dh and I both lived at home, as did our parents before us! I had friends tell their children not to come back home after college! They'll be the ones writing that no one remembers them on Mother's Day, etc! I don't want my kids home for that reason, I'm a nester! I want all my likpttle chicks in my nest! It's really hard when very bad weather is forecast! That's when I really want them home again, so I'll know they're safe! No one can care for them like me, you know.,

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

My children both lived at home until they married. I loved every minute of having them home! We never charged them rent or ever asked them for money. We did expect them to help out around the house, which both always did. My dh and I both lived at home, as did our parents before us! I had friends tell their children not to come back home after college! They'll be the ones writing that no one remembers them on Mother's Day, etc! I don't want my kids home for that reason, I'm a nester! I want all my likpttle chicks in my nest! It's really hard when very bad weather is forecast! That's when I really want them home again, so I'll know they're safe! No one can care for them like me, you know!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

In the 70s someone could swing an apartment with a minimum wage job...not so now.  

Well, if parents raise their kids properly  and foster self reliance and if the kids understand about life and get a good education and start a career, they won't be forced into minimum wage jobs and sharing their basment apartment in their parent's home with the washer and dryer. There is a BIG difference between staying the parents for a few years after school and still being there at  36; with your girlfriend and her two children....lol