Honored Contributor

Are your adult children living at home?

According to statistics about 70% of young adults from 18 to 29 are. The US is one of the highest  world nations for this.

My kids have been gone for decades, but the economy was a lot better when they got their start. I would rather have my kids living with me, than  barely making it, and having to live with people who might not be the best room mates

Honored Contributor

Re: Are your adult children living at home?

i have two that are in college (sophomore and junior) and one that graduated two years ago and is working full time, but not in her chosen field......so 3 young adults are at home with me.

i am glad for all of us.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Oh heavens NO!

Honored Contributor

No, my adult children are not living at home.  But, we had to move 3 times with no forwarding address!  Lol!!!

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness (for me and them) the answer is NO!  I still live in the big house that raised them.  They could have this house, it's paid for.  I mention this because they don't want to live here.  

They have their own lives.  Two of them are married with 4 and 3 children.  They are stay at home mothers.  The youngest (36) lives in Denver and has a wonderful life as a single woman.  She'll never move back.

Phew!  Mothers and daughters....I love my girls more than anything, but they don't want to live with me and I don't want to live with them.  

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Honored Contributor

Some of these kids now days ought to be nicknamed "boomerang " because they always come back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Thank goodness (for me and them) the answer is NO!  I still live in the big house that raised them.  They could have this house, it's paid for.  I mention this because they don't want to live here.  

They have their own lives.  Two of them are married with 4 and 3 children.  They are stay at home mothers.  The youngest (36) lives in Denver and has a wonderful life as a single woman.  She'll never move back.

Phew!  Mothers and daughters....I love my girls more than anything, but they don't want to live with me and I don't want to live with them.  

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

I don't know that  life is supposed to be any particular way. The nicest 2 people I knew were mother and daughter living together. They were such a team. I admired them both more than I can say

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know where you got that 70% statistic from, it seems to be way off.

All three of my children moved out on their own right after college.

ETA - everything I'm finding is saying between 32 and 36% are living with their parents.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

No, my adult children are not living at home.  But, we had to move 3 times with no forwarding address!  Lol!!!

My mother told me it's not nice to do that when I suggested it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My son graduated from a prestigous business school right at the time the economy was tanking.  None of the new grads were getting hired.

He was home for 2 weeks and we were expecting it could be much longer....then he got an internship and moved right back to the area where he'd attended college.  That internship led to a full-fledged position.

My daughter is still in school but will be seeking a postion once she earns her phd.  I don't think she'll have to move back here.