Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone taking Neurontin..need advice please

On 10/24/2014 sophiamarie said:
On 10/24/2014 Gooday said:

Try Lyrica. DH takes it when his post herpatic pain flares up. As a side note; I have been having significant groin pain. Hips x-rays were negative. I have an appt. with a new ortho. next week. Last week the groin pain was so bad I was crying. DH said, "why don't you try a Lyrica"? Normally, I would NEVER take a non prescribe medicine but at this point, I was in such bad pain, I went for it. It's been 4 days with barely a hint of the pain. I am walking better. I think I have some sort of nerve impingement.

So....maybe the Lyrica is the medicine to try. I have not had any side effect, nor has DH ever had a problem with the Lyrica.

I hope you didn't cancel your Ortho appt.

Last year I fell and also had groin pain. My doctor sent me to the ER for x-rays and a CAT scan. Both were normal. They sent me home with a paper telling me I had a contusion that would take days or even weeks to clear up. After 12 days, it was no better and I called the doctor and he told me to go back to the ER for an MRI. It turned out that I had a fracture of the femoral neck. I had titanium screws placed in my hip. I was only in the hospital for 2 days but I'm glad I went back for that MRI.

My pain was not as bad as yours sounds. It surely didn't make me cry but was very uncomfortable, especially when I was getting up from a chair....

Don't ignore that pain. I'll bet a pain pill would probably take care of it too but it's not the cure. Good luck and let us know......Smile

I had hip x-rays before I was hospitalized the beginning of September. Dr. also went over it with the radiologist. There was no evidence of obvious fracture or even a stress fracture. In fact, he said the x-rays looked quite good for my age. However, when I had x-rays and an MRI of my left knee, other than the 2 meniscal tears, only minimal arthritis was noted. When the doctor talked to me after the arthroscopy, he told me my knee was loaded with arthritis and he shaved off as much as he could. So.....who knows? We'll see what happens on Monday because my right knee was acting up. I do believe I had been compensating so much for my postop knee that I may have torn the cartilage.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/24/2014 tansy said: Sophiamarie, does your husband have diabetes? I had zero pain with a bad gallbladder but had other symptoms from it. I was told that happens sometimes for diabetics.

tansy: No, he doesn' have any other health problems at all. His labs are always normal. All he takes is a low dose of cholesterol med. 10 mgs. of simvastatin. He's really as healthy as a horse aside from the neuropathy, which is probably a result of years of smoking way back in the day..... He does 200 push-ups every other day and 100 sit-ups on the alternate days.

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 sophiamarie said:
On 10/24/2014 tansy said: Sophiamarie, does your husband have diabetes? I had zero pain with a bad gallbladder but had other symptoms from it. I was told that happens sometimes for diabetics.

tansy: No, he doesn' have any other health problems at all. His labs are always normal. All he takes is a low dose of cholesterol med. 10 mgs. of simvastatin. He's really as healthy as a horse aside from the neuropathy, which is probably a result of years of smoking way back in the day..... He does 200 push-ups every other day and

That's an impressive exercise routineSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sorry, Sophia. My reply got into your box somehow:/
Trusted Contributor

Many thanks to everyone for your advice!! I really appreciate the feedback. I will try the Neurontin and see what, if any side effects there are and weigh those against the pain relief. Fingers crossed that the relief out weighs the side effects. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone!!
Super Contributor

For many people, the initial side effects go away after a few weeks. The trick is starting out on a very low dose, and very gradually working your way up to a higher dose. Good luck with your medications, grandma petes.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Contributor

I've been on Neurontin for a few years now, and have had no bad side effects. It really helps my back pain. ( 900 mg a day) I did try Lyrica last year, just for a change, and gained 9 pounds in a month!!! Needless to say, I'm staying with the former. I hope you find relief with whatever you choose.