Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Ryan Lochte update...

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

His Olympics accomplishments have NOTHING to do with his transgressions.  I don't see where anybody is discounting what he has done in that regard.  But they don't supercede any bad deeds, either.

His  mistakes are another thing entirely.  He's obviously kind of an idiot and all that, but he knew better.  If he didn't - he should have.  He took bad behavior and made it worse by lying about it.

I don't watch DWTS, but I agree that they should pull him.   It kind of cracks me up, this one endorsement he has gotten.   Who has even heard of that company?    If they want to employ him, I don't begrudge them, or him, that.

Whatever work he can get is fine.   But anything that puts him in some kind of high regard is mistaken.

His accomplishments don't supercede his bad deed, and in a city that is known for it's crime and corruption?  Ok!

hckynut(john)

Somehow, you think he should have been treated better than the country's own people?  Why @hckynut.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

It's strange this is even a debate.  If the Olympics were held here in the US - let's say DC or Chicago...and an athlete from another country came here, competed, won many medals, then decided cause damage to a business, lie to the police, etc. I highly doubt anyone would be saying the athlete should face no repercussions for his crime.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

His Olympics accomplishments have NOTHING to do with his transgressions.  I don't see where anybody is discounting what he has done in that regard.  But they don't supercede any bad deeds, either.

His  mistakes are another thing entirely.  He's obviously kind of an idiot and all that, but he knew better.  If he didn't - he should have.  He took bad behavior and made it worse by lying about it.

I don't watch DWTS, but I agree that they should pull him.   It kind of cracks me up, this one endorsement he has gotten.   Who has even heard of that company?    If they want to employ him, I don't begrudge them, or him, that.

Whatever work he can get is fine.   But anything that puts him in some kind of high regard is mistaken.

His accomplishments don't supercede his bad deed, and in a city that is known for it's crime and corruption?  Ok!

hckynut(john)

So by your logic If the Olympics was held in Baltimore ans an athlete from another country did as Lochte did then it's excusable because Baltimore is a high crime city?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

hckynut(john)

So by your logic If the Olympics was held in Baltimore ans an athlete from another country did as Lochte did then it's excusable because Baltimore is a high crime city?

Yep!  Despite the fact that NOT all Baltimore has high crime.  All of Brazil is not high in crime either.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

ITA .... it was an unfortunate situation all around.

I wonder why posters aren't as outraged by the fact that one of our athletes had to make an $11,000 donation to a charity before they would give him his passport back.  I think this is, as you say, nothing short of extortion!

@Tinkrbl44

Here were it dc some of the bureaucrats might just call it a tax. Seems to be their go to when they have no explanation. To me if someone other than a judge(which I see they do have) holds something that does not belong to them, and asks for money in exchange? 

That is the exact and accurate definition of the word extortion. Right on!

hckynut(john)

Sorry no.

Honored Contributor

Call Lochte what he is, a LIAR! The excuses that people are posting to justify his bad behaviour is absolutely disgusting!

Rio is full of crime and corruption.

Boys will be boys.

A gun was held to his head.

The guards used extortion.

All the while this guy who is not too bright was drunk and damaged property but it's okay because it's Rio! CRAZY!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@scotnovel wrote:

There was also speculation that there was a security guard who DID point a gun at them right after they got into the taxi and asked for money (a sort of bribe which wouldn't be unusual in that country) to let them leave.  That would explain why their cell phones and other items weren't taken, just their cash.

@scotnovel There were no "speculations" about someone pulling a gun on them.  That was verified as truthful.  It did happen.  My question for you is So what if?  Are we privy to what police protocols are in Brazil?  They were being detained after they learned of the vandalism.  Since when are Americans not familiar with guns when crimes are committed?

Not sure the point of your message.  Of course Americans are familiar with guns when a crime has been committed.  I doubt though that they expect police or a security guard to take their money as part of the "investigation" of the vandalism.  I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened.  My point is that I think while Lockte lied and made a fool of himself and damaged the reputation of the US and the team that there is likely more to this story than has been reported by the Rio police and the press.  

Super Contributor

Ryan should send Kaepernick some flowers and a 'Thank 'You' note today for getting him off the front page. 

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@scotnovel wrote:

There was also speculation that there was a security guard who DID point a gun at them right after they got into the taxi and asked for money (a sort of bribe which wouldn't be unusual in that country) to let them leave.  That would explain why their cell phones and other items weren't taken, just their cash.

@scotnovel There were no "speculations" about someone pulling a gun on them.  That was verified as truthful.  It did happen.  My question for you is So what if?  Are we privy to what police protocols are in Brazil?  They were being detained after they learned of the vandalism.  Since when are Americans not familiar with guns when crimes are committed?

Not sure the point of your message.  Of course Americans are familiar with guns when a crime has been committed.  I doubt though that they expect police or a security guard to take their money as part of the "investigation" of the vandalism.  I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened.  My point is that I think while Lockte lied and made a fool of himself and damaged the reputation of the US and the team that there is likely more to this story than has been reported by the Rio police and the press.  

I'm not sure why you would wager a guess since it's not the US. We shouldn't expect that in the USA, but because I am not familiar with the customs and laws of Brazil I can't say what they did is not commonplace or against the law.  If you don't know their laws and dealings in such matters, why do you bother to speculate as to illegality when you don't know that for sure! @scotnovel

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

This man made a big mistake and he is going to pay big time when it comes to$$$$$. I am not condoning what he did or what he said in his differing stories. He made a possible life changing mistake, is being 32 the magic age in life, when nobody makes a mistake, big or small?

For those that think that is the magic age? You must be living in a different world than I have for my many decades. Mistakes/blunders or irresponsible acts, they are not limited nor do they disappear at age 32.

This man has represented the USA in 4 different Olympic events, starting with his first in 2004. Any mistakes in that Olympic event that brought out negativity by the media? How about 2008 and 2012, same question.

Many seem to overlook the positives and accomplishments in someone I can call a young man's life. He has won a total of 12 Olympic Medals, 6 of which are Gold. This seems to have been overlooked by the media and many others that have chosen to pile onto this man's mistake.

I am one that doesn't forget and/or overlook the good in bad people, or the bad in good people, and I will continue for, whatever years I have left, doing exactly the same.

hckynut(john)

Michael Phelps did worse things and came back as this Olympics "golden boy" (pun intended)...