Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who remembers....

D-Day - the 6th of June. 

OPERATION OVERLORD.......

Trusted Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Why would you think that? Also, the first thing I thought of today was Bobby Kennedy's death.

There's nothing particularly special about the number "74"; what I was getting at is this is the anniversary of a battle that saved civilization from the Nazi barbarism. And it seems like a lot of us have forgotten that those brave men and women sacrificed their lives so that the rest of us could live free.

I had forogtten about Bobby Kennedy's assasination until the local media reminded me. I was 18 at the time; it seems the year 1968 was a bad year for the USA and the world in general.

Esteemed Contributor

If any of you get the chance to travel to Normandy don't miss the battlefield; it will give you a new appreciation of D Day.

Honored Contributor

the older we get, the younger generation are not really kept up on what happened in the 30-40-50's and all the turmoil in the world.

DH dad was at battle of the bludge. He did get some kind of award for some kind of battle, that is all dh knows about . He dad was very closed lip, he never talked about his childhood or his military service.

Honored Contributor

Mr JTB  loves the movie The Longest Day, but it's not shown so much on the actual day, anymore 

Respected Contributor

My father was at Normandy on D-Day. He spoke little of WW2 until he was about 70, and then would tell his experiences mostly to my child. He said his ship let the troops out in deep water. He held his rifle over his head and knew how to swim; sadly, some others did not. He was a medic, and he fought. He did not return to medicine when he went back to college after the war. He was in Europe through the time the prison camps were freed. When he spoke of the freed prisoners, it was one of only 3 times I saw my father have tears. He gave his uniform to my child, and I have it stored in my home. He wrote a diary during his service, but there are large sections missing. He ended it when the ship he was on was in view of the Statue of Liberty. He also took some photos that I've kept. He was buried in the Veterans' Memorial Cemetery near my home after his death 8 years ago. My father still had some land mine shrapnel in his legs when he passed. Whenever I watch film on TV of WW2 and Normandy, I find myself looking for him, and then feeling very sad that he experienced the horrors of war at such a young age; he was still in his growing stage and went from 5'7" to 6'2" during the war. I think of how frightened he must have been. But thankfully, he survived; my moher's cousin did not. I remember D-Day, and I'm grateful to our country's men and women who have served in the military.

Valued Contributor

It was on the news. 74 years sounds soooooo long ago. However, I was born only 7 years after. Guess that means I was born a long time ago as well!
Valued Contributor

It was on the news. 74 years sounds soooooo long ago. However, I was born only 7 years after. Guess that means I was born a long time ago as well! I am thankful for all who served in every war in our history. God bless all and their families.
Valued Contributor

Sorry double post.
Respected Contributor

Wow, truely, I am stunned by the Apathy of some responses.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana