Honored Contributor

Hi CB, it could very well be Smiley Happy

Not all people who are late are ADD.  There are others who are just inconsiderate.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Hmmmmmm....... Just wondering if my OCD about being on time so I usually show up early can also be considered a disability?  Don't I have the right to be accommodated as well? I tell people let who are chronically late that I will wait 5 more minutes past our agreed time and if I don't hear from them I will go on to do what we had planned and they could catch up if they want. Less anxiety for me to have my expectation put out front.

@reiki604

That's not OCD.  OCD would be a collection of behaviors that show up and would ultimately interfere with your daily living.

It's not really something to use as a joke, it can be very debilitating.

Thank you for your opinion but I will listen to my doctor's opinion that there are different degrees of different disorders. I totally agree that mental disorders are no laughing matter  and would never demean another person's experience due to my lack of understanding.

@reiki604

It's not my opinion, it's fact.  If you are interested in learning about OCD or ADD, there are a lot of sites online which will explain them for you.  I'm talking about those sites run by foundations working on treatment, staffed by professionals in the field.

Yes, there are different degrees, I already said that eariler.  But the fact that you and I make a habit of being on time is not OCD.

Not to understand either of those conditions, yet to belittle one without understanding what's involved is demeaning it.

@Noel7

i appreciate your trying to educate me but it is really not necessary, my understanding and knowledge of certain mental health issues far exceed any online search engine. I have dealt with these issues both professionally, with family and friends. As you have no knowledge of another's life experience perhaps you should not place yourself as an expert in that life experience. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Always Apologetic

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Hmmmmmm....... Just wondering if my OCD about being on time so I usually show up early can also be considered a disability?  Don't I have the right to be accommodated as well? I tell people let who are chronically late that I will wait 5 more minutes past our agreed time and if I don't hear from them I will go on to do what we had planned and they could catch up if they want. Less anxiety for me to have my expectation put out front.

@reiki604

That's not OCD.  OCD would be a collection of behaviors that show up and would ultimately interfere with your daily living.

Thank you for your opinion but I will listen to my doctor's opinion that there are different degrees of different disorders. I totally agree that mental disorders are no laughing matter  and would never demean another person's experience due to my lack of understanding.

@reiki604

It's not my opinion, it's fact.  If you are interested in learning about OCD or ADD, there are a lot of sites online which will explain them for you.  I'm talking about those sites run by foundations working on treatment, staffed by professionals in the field.

Yes, there are different degrees, I already said that eariler.  But the fact that you and I make a habit of being on time is not OCD.

Not to understand either of those conditions, yet to belittle one without understanding what's involved is demeaning it.

Unfortunately in this day and age there is a diagnosis for everything.

Someone can come up with anything to justify their bad/annoying/incompetent behavior. Some are legit, some are not.

Unfortunately, the friends, employers and families of people who cannot or do not want to be on time are the ones who end up paying the price. The have to work longer, work harder, spend more money, be late, or miss out themselves. The costs are high.

I don't always have time nor inclination to accommodate a bleeding heart. Especially when someone is faking, not taking their meds, refusing treatment, or worst of all just being an arse.  Sorry.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

No excuse for tardiness. In this day and age anyone can come up with a diagnosis to justify their bad behavior. I dont' buy into it.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604

@reiki604

@Noel7

i appreciate your trying to educate me but it is really not necessary, my understanding and knowledge of certain mental health issues far exceed any online search engine. I have dealt with these issues both professionally, with family and friends. As you have no knowledge of another's life experience perhaps you should not place yourself as an expert in that life experience. 

Neurology and life experience are two different things. 

I hope others on this line will be interested enough to learn a little something about the two disorders.

And by the way, not all MDs know much about either one, especially ADD which requires experts, as one member here has mentioned for her family.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604

@reiki604

@Noel7

Neurology and life experience are two different things. 

I hope others on this line will be interested enough to learn a little something about the two disorders.

And by the way, not all MDs know much about either one, especially ADD which requires experts, as one member here has mentioned for her family.

Oh my, Noel7 You need to seriously get the message that you have crossed a line! @reiki604 was being extremely polite to you and you rolled over it! Unbelievable Wow. Equally as rude as being late!

Respected Contributor

In my family growing up, it was more normal to run a little behind. There were a lot of kids needing to use the bathroom to get ready, grabbing a quick breakfast, trying to herd everyone out the door for school.  

Whenever we get together now, just us siblings, it's ok to be late. If spouses are involved I've found its better to start on time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie

Thank you but no worries. The comments made to me are as meaningless to me as the person that wrote them. How I wish my degrees and experience were as easy to achieve as a web search.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Jacie

Thank you but no worries. The comments made to me are as meaningless to me as the person that wrote them. How I wish my degrees and experience were as easy to achieve as a web search.

@reiki604

Well stated! Touche!

Honored Contributor

I know 2 people like this; a male and a female.   I find it extremely difficult to be around either for more than a few minutes at a time.  

The male has the most annoying whine to his voice, and apologizes continuously.  As has been mentioned earlier, if you find yourself apologizing frequently, there should be a point where you figure out exactly what you do wrong, and avoid doing that again.   Not him.   Just mentioning his name gets an OMG reaction every time from those who know him.  

The female is always running late with a variety of excuses.   She "forgets" birthdays, anniversaries, and is never on top of anything besides what's going on with her.   And whatever is going on with her, is always so much more intense than whatever you've been thru.   She always has to have had the worst end of the deal.  I've known her for 20 years, and she's still the same scatter brained, apologetic, drama queen she's always been.   I keep my distance from her too.