Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2 yr old pulled into the water by alligator

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Yes as parents we all make mistakes..but as parents it is up to US to pay attention to our surroundings. They are on vacation...but why would they let a 2 year old wade in the water - especially when the sign states NO Swimming..they are from the US..they know what No Swimming means..you do not go in the water!! So due to their lack of common sense they lost their child, this two year old tragically lost his life and goodness knows what his last minutes were like.. Parents..PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings!

This is what a witness stated:

Declan Salcido, who's on vacation with relatives from San Jose, California, said the "No Swimming" signs are visible "from any vantage point."
The lagoon is not for recreational swimming.
"This is Florida, and it's not uncommon for alligators to be in bodies of water," Demings said.

@CouponQueen

ITA .....   Alligators are EVERYWHERE in Florida .....  millions of them.  If a beach says NO SWIMMING, then parents can't ignore their obligations just because they are on vacation!  They need to watch their kids!

Anyone want to bet how long it will be before the parents sue Disney for a wrongful death?   Of course they will blame Disney!   JMO 

Yes, they are likely going to sue.  They have every right to do so.

@itiswhatitis

They'll sue - sure the ambulance chasers are lining up right now.  They have the right to sue 'cause anybody can sue anyone.  WDW had proper signage - NO SWIMMING.  However, nowadays, lots of people don't follow rules.  Will they win in a court of law - imo, probably not.  But, WDW will give them a very substantial settlement for not going to court to avoid additional bad p.r..  Sadly, no amount of compensation will bring back their baby:  the real tragedy here is a child died needlessly and the family will be living with the sadness of "if only" and heatache for the rest of their lives.

Why does them suing disturb you so much?  People have been suing each other for years, centuries~ not just "nowadays."  It's part of the fabric of America and has been since its founding.  What's it to you, that this family who lost their child will sue WDW?  Will any of the proceeds (if they win) go to you?

Go ahead and tell me about YOUR tax dollars.......

@itiswhatitis

Years ago people didn't sue as frequently as today, fueled by lawyers who benefit the most, prolonging the agony, that's my opinion.  Whether or not they sue doesn't affect me whatsover and don't know why you say their suing disturbs me?  Anyways, don't know what your last paragraph refers to - sorry, just don't understand.  

Esteemed Contributor

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Yes as parents we all make mistakes..but as parents it is up to US to pay attention to our surroundings. They are on vacation...but why would they let a 2 year old wade in the water - especially when the sign states NO Swimming..they are from the US..they know what No Swimming means..you do not go in the water!! So due to their lack of common sense they lost their child, this two year old tragically lost his life and goodness knows what his last minutes were like.. Parents..PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings!

This is what a witness stated:

Declan Salcido, who's on vacation with relatives from San Jose, California, said the "No Swimming" signs are visible "from any vantage point."
The lagoon is not for recreational swimming.
"This is Florida, and it's not uncommon for alligators to be in bodies of water," Demings said.

@CouponQueen

ITA .....   Alligators are EVERYWHERE in Florida .....  millions of them.  If a beach says NO SWIMMING, then parents can't ignore their obligations just because they are on vacation!  They need to watch their kids!

Anyone want to bet how long it will be before the parents sue Disney for a wrongful death?   Of course they will blame Disney!   JMO 

Yes, they are likely going to sue.  They have every right to do so.

@itiswhatitis

They'll sue - sure the ambulance chasers are lining up right now.  They have the right to sue 'cause anybody can sue anyone.  WDW had proper signage - NO SWIMMING.  However, nowadays, lots of people don't follow rules.  Will they win in a court of law - imo, probably not.  But, WDW will give them a very substantial settlement for not going to court to avoid additional bad p.r..  Sadly, no amount of compensation will bring back their baby:  the real tragedy here is a child died needlessly and the family will be living with the sadness of "if only" and heatache for the rest of their lives.

Why does them suing disturb you so much?  People have been suing each other for years, centuries~ not just "nowadays."  It's part of the fabric of America and has been since its founding.  What's it to you, that this family who lost their child will sue WDW?  Will any of the proceeds (if they win) go to you?

Go ahead and tell me about YOUR tax dollars.......

@itiswhatitis

Years ago people didn't sue as frequently as today, fueled by lawyers who benefit the most, prolonging the agony, that's my opinion.  Whether or not they sue doesn't affect me whatsover and don't know why you say their suing disturbs me?  Anyways, don't know what your last paragraph refers to - sorry, just don't understand.  

You'll have to give me stats on this.  Lawsuits have given us precedents for which we live by today.  Of course, lawsuits have been going on for centuries.  No doubt as a society advances, so too does the many ways one can breach a contract; cause unintended public harm and more.  Lawsuits are equal to the times in which we live.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis,

Bottom of that sign says it all. Might as well not have a sign at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've stayed at WDW a few dozen times. This lagoon is a man-made feature. There are two large lakes with hotels ringing them - this one and the one at the Boardwalk.

Both have resorts with sandy "beaches" - you can play on the beach and wade as well - which is why there is a life guard on duty. I never had any desire to put my toes in the water, but they also stock the 7 Seas Lagoon with fish. You can even take a "fishing tour" and catch small sunfish and even bass.

It appears that they stocked their man made lake with a buffet dinner for alligators...not a great idea!

If you wake up very early, the properties are sprayed for mosquitoes almost every day, by men in Hazmat type suits. If they are that fastidious at killing skeeters, they should do the same to keep alligators out too.

There are nightly Light Parades on the water...people are ENCOURAGED to come out, go down to the beach and watch the floats. If WDW thought that alligators might live in their man made lakes and canals, they shouldn't have created sandy "beaches" on them for family playtime.

I think they have a perfect right to sue. I have NEVER seen any warnings about alligators in the waterways at WDW...not one.

Honored Contributor

Those parents are in horrible pain right now, for the rest of their lives,each and every day, hoilday ,birthday of that little boy, have compassion on them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

People don't read signs...some ignore them. 

A FENCE WORKS PRETTY GOOD AT KEEPING PEOPLE OUT.

There is NO FENCE. In fact, there is an artificial beach. People are encouraged to sun there, make sandcastles, etc. And at night, there is a Light Parade on the water, people come down and sit on the beach to watch.

If they didn't want people near the water, they shouldn't build play areas on the shore.

Honored Contributor

Nancy Grace will be soaking up this story tonight!  Can't wait to hear her take on "the parents."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Being from Nebraska or any other place in the world is no excuse for letting a 2 yr old wade in shallow water AT NIGHT w/NO SWIMMING signs posted all over the place.

The father was close enough to the child to rescue but no one can pry the jaws of an alligator once it takes hold of "food." 

I think I read some where that alligators "drown" their "food" prior to swallowing.

SIDEBAR:  Everytime I go to New Orleans I always take a canoe ride on the everglades to feed the alligators marchmellows.  I won't be doing that no more!!!

Here, a land-locked area, wading close to shore does not equal swiming.  Now, I understand that No Swimming means Stay Away From the Water, but before this incident, that wasn't my interpretation of No Swimming.

Same here. No swimming tells you nothing. It doesn't tell you not to wade in the water. DANGER --ALLIGATORS WILL EAT YOU! Make it clear to innocent parents.

I agree!  Swimming, and getting your toes wet are two different things.  Unless there was a fence, a little sandy beach is tempting for a vacationing family.  

If I see a no swimming sign, I know that I'm not allowed to put on a suit and jump on in to swim.  If I see a "DANGER - no swimming - ALLIGATORS" sign, I'd know to stay 20 yards away from the body of water and not even walk close enough to skip stones...two very different messages. 

Amazing.  If the sign says " No Swimmng" it means stay out of the water... No swimming, no wading.., no dangling your toes in the water!  It means you must stay out of the water... Period.

There shouldn't have to be an explanation as to why.  The sign is clear and to the point.

We spend every summer at a lake and launch our boat at a public place.  There are signs at the dock that say NO Smimming and NO Fishing, but every summer people bring their children and pets to the boat launch to swim and fish.

I have had to scream at the top of my lungs to get the children to move out of the water so that our boat doesn't hit them, especially when we are taking out boat out of the water.  Parents curse at me when I ask them to get their children out so we can back our trailer and drive the boat on it.  Boats do not have brakes and can't stop.  Our boat is big and would kill a child/ adult if they got hit.

All of us adults should obey the signs.  We should not only obey the ones we pick and choose..  We should not teach our children that it is okay to ignore signs either.  It only takes a quick moment for someone to get killed or hurt. 

I feel so bad for this family. They could have prevented this tragedy by using common sense.  It is  never okay to go into any natural water at night.  You can't see the bottom or know what might be in there.  The father and his son were wading in knee deep water at night.  So sad and too late now.

No matter where you are from, you have probably seen the pictures and new reports showing alligators in people's back yards and in swimming pools.  There is no way to keep them out.  They too don' t or can't read and obey the signs.

'

NO SWIMMING IS SELF explanatory.  No swimming.  I don't care how bad you don't like it, but additional signage was lacking on this.  Just bysheer virtue of the way we interpret things differently.  No ambiquity when you say, DO NOT ENTER WATER ~ ALLIGATORS.  LEAVE NO ROOM FOR DOUBT OR AMBIGUITY.  unfortunately "no swimming" doesn't cut it here.

So, if you can't swim, but are in the water up to knee level, you aren't  really swimming, so that it's okay then?  You are only swimming when you're wearing a swim suit and are floating in the water with arm movements?  Wading is different than actual Swimmg. Well, not in my book.

Contributor

I tend to agree.   Male gators have just finished their mating season.   They can travel great distances by land and by water to find a mate.  Fences are not effective in preventing gator migration.  Now the females are making their nests near the waterbanks and will be VERY protective of their young.   This gator was being a gator and hunting for food.  They are very agressive hunters.  A small child was probably very much like a small animal to this one.   There are millions of gators in the waterways and lands of Florida.   This is a very tragic event and don't think blaming Disney or the parents is helpful.