Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2 yr old pulled into the water by alligator

@dex wrote:

there are so many hidden and unforeseen dangers in life for children that it is difficult to imagine that most grow up safelySometimes I think that that there is a little bit of luck,timing and fate involved.

I agree, @dex. I now think of all the danger when raising my children. But there are ten fold more dangers today than when I was raising mine.

Esteemed Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

WHY didn't the warning sign say NO Swimming. GATORS instead of No Swimming? I think people would pay more attention to that sign. Not much protection for guests by Disney in my opinion .

Bad for business, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Being from Nebraska or any other place in the world is no excuse for letting a 2 yr old wade in shallow water AT NIGHT w/NO SWIMMING signs posted all over the place.

The father was close enough to the child to rescue but no one can pry the jaws of an alligator once it takes hold of "food." 

I think I read some where that alligators "drown" their "food" prior to swallowing.

SIDEBAR:  Everytime I go to New Orleans I always take a canoe ride on the everglades to feed the alligators marchmellows.  I won't be doing that no more!!!

I do the same thing in New Orleans. We take the little tour boats. I asked my husband what we would do if the boat started sinking. I then realized I would never do that tour again.

Honored Contributor

It is a lovely little beach,  honestly  when i was there, we walked that beach, i remember the signs, but really never thought of gators there, but we did see gators at another hotel there,when we took a boat over to it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Being from Nebraska or any other place in the world is no excuse for letting a 2 yr old wade in shallow water AT NIGHT w/NO SWIMMING signs posted all over the place.

The father was close enough to the child to rescue but no one can pry the jaws of an alligator once it takes hold of "food." 

I think I read some where that alligators "drown" their "food" prior to swallowing.

SIDEBAR:  Everytime I go to New Orleans I always take a canoe ride on the everglades to feed the alligators marchmellows.  I won't be doing that no more!!!

Here, a land-locked area, wading close to shore does not equal swiming.  Now, I understand that No Swimming means Stay Away From the Water, but before this incident, that wasn't my interpretation of No Swimming.

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Here, a land-locked area, wading close to shore does not equal swiming.  Now, I understand that No Swimming means Stay Away From the Water, but before this incident, that wasn't my interpretation of No Swimming.

Same here. No swimming tells you nothing. It doesn't tell you not to wade in the water. DANGER --ALLIGATORS WILL EAT YOU! Make it clear to innocent parents.

Honored Contributor

So the lagoon water is there just for aesthetic purposes??? Why have water if you can't swim in it? I don't get it. If Disney doesn't want people in the water then it should be fenced off....jmho

Trusted Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Same here. No swimming tells you nothing. It doesn't tell you not to wade in the water. DANGER --ALLIGATORS WILL EAT YOU! Make it clear to innocent parents.

I agree!  Swimming, and getting your toes wet are two different things.  Unless there was a fence, a little sandy beach is tempting for a vacationing family.  

If I see a no swimming sign, I know that I'm not allowed to put on a suit and jump on in to swim.  If I see a "DANGER - no swimming - ALLIGATORS" sign, I'd know to stay 20 yards away from the body of water and not even walk close enough to skip stones...two very different messages. 

Honored Contributor

This is a tragedy this family will live with forever but it is a tragedy that could have been prevented.  No swimming posted and you allow a 2 year old to wade in the water and at night no less? 

That poor sweet baby.

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

Yes as parents we all make mistakes..but as parents it is up to US to pay attention to our surroundings. They are on vacation...but why would they let a 2 year old wade in the water - especially when the sign states NO Swimming..they are from the US..they know what No Swimming means..you do not go in the water!! So due to their lack of common sense they lost their child, this two year old tragically lost his life and goodness knows what his last minutes were like.. Parents..PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings!

This is what a witness stated:

Declan Salcido, who's on vacation with relatives from San Jose, California, said the "No Swimming" signs are visible "from any vantage point."
The lagoon is not for recreational swimming.
"This is Florida, and it's not uncommon for alligators to be in bodies of water," Demings said.

@CouponQueen

ITA .....   Alligators are EVERYWHERE in Florida .....  millions of them.  If a beach says NO SWIMMING, then parents can't ignore their obligations just because they are on vacation!  They need to watch their kids!

Anyone want to bet how long it will be before the parents sue Disney for a wrongful death?   Of course they will blame Disney!   JMO