Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- October 2015

Just finished PRETTY GIRLS by Karin Slaughter.  I haven't read anything by her for awhile.  I don't know if it is because she hasn't written much or that I have missed her books somehow.  I always enjoy her books.  This is worth a read.  Thanks to whoever recommended this one.

I give the book 4 out of 5.  Storyline from Good Reads follows. LM

With a missing girl in the news, Claire Scott can’t help but be reminded of her sister, who disappeared twenty years ago in a mystery that was never solved. But when Claire begins to learn the truth about her sister, nothing will ever be the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I just started a book I've had in the house for quite a while, and now I can't put it down.

City of the Sun, by David Levien, is the story of a young boy who has been missing for over a year when his parents hire Frank Behr, an ex-cop, to help find him. 

The book is written in such a way that it's almost impossible to put it down. This is the first book of a series of books with Frank Behr, who in each book takes on cold cases. 

My e-library didn't have it in a Kindle version so I'm reading the hard-cover version. 

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just finished PRETTY GIRLS by Karin Slaughter.  I haven't read anything by her for awhile.  I don't know if it is because she hasn't written much or that I have missed her books somehow.  I always enjoy her books.  This is worth a read.  Thanks to whoever recommended this one.

With a missing girl in the news, Claire Scott can’t help but be reminded of her sister, who disappeared twenty years ago in a mystery that was never solved. But when Claire begins to learn the truth about her sister, nothing will ever be the same.

I am sorry I have to laugh. SAgal just said it was a disgusting book and 'don't read it!!!' hahahaha Different strokes for different folks would apply here. That's what this thread is all about, tho. Discussing what we've read and our recommendations. One needs to judge for oneself if she wants to read it or not. Something she said totally turned me off, tho. I won't be reading it. But that's just me.

I was just thinking-could there be two books with that title?

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline, I didn't catch that @SAGal didn't like PRETTY GIRLS.  I have read quite a few books by Karin Slaughter and I thought this was one of her better ones.  SAGal and I like many of the same books and I always watch her postings.  As you say, different strokes!  LM

Honored Contributor

Just finished book one last night and started book 2 this morning.  There are four total.  An Italian author who does not speak English but was translated for our country.  Wonderful book of family and friendships.

Author:  Elena Ferrante

Translated: Ann Goldstein

Product DetailsThe Story of a New Name: Neapolitan Novels, Book TwoThose Who Leave and Those Who Stay: Neapolitan Novels, Book ThreeThe Story of the Lost Child: Neapolitan Novels, Book Four

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

I am sorry I have to laugh. SAgal just said it was a disgusting book and 'don't read it!!!' hahahaha Different strokes for different folks would apply here. That's what this thread is all about, tho. Discussing what we've read and our recommendations. One needs to judge for oneself if she wants to read it or not. Something she said totally turned me off, tho. I won't be reading it. But that's just me.

I was just thinking-could there be two books with that title?

Oh, my!!  Different strokes is right.  Pretty Girl is an Amazon Book of the Month for October.  Although it doesn't sound like anything I want to read.  As soon as someone mentioned torture, I'm out.  

Occasional Contributor

Vegas Rich by Fern Michaels.

It is excellent so far and hard to put down.It is part of a series, looking forward to the next!

Honored Contributor

@RainbowBaby wrote:

Vegas Rich by Fern Michaels.

It is excellent so far and hard to put down.It is part of a series, looking forward to the next!

I own that series, her Texas series (my favorite) and the last one was the Kentucky series.   All related.  The '80 were a great decade when I first found Fern and Texas Rich.

I emailed her a couple of years ago to bring back the Texas series with the lives of grand and great grand children but she said sadly no plans.  Oh well she is wonderful.  Check out all of them if you have not yet you will not be disappointed. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:
My last two reads have been somewhat disappointing. I read James Patterson's "THE MURDER HOUSE" and thought it was okay, not great. Then, I read the first entry in Elly Griffiths' new series, "THE ZIG ZAG GIRL", and was very let down. I love her other series, the Ruth Galloway books, but this book just plodded along. If it had been another author, I would have pulled the bookmark, but I kept going because I felt that surely it was going to get better any page now.... But, unfortunately not. Oh well, on to other books.

I'm sorry to see that Zig Zag Girl did not live up to expectations.  I love her other series, too.  I still have this one on waitlist and I'm sure I'll read it eventually. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been gone for a week and haven't posted but I've read the comments a few times.  I finished Nature of the Beast and found it so uninteresting.  I didn't care about the plot, the writing was repetitious, and the Three Pines residents seemed like peripheral characters.  I really struggled to get through it.  Ms Penny needs to reinvigorate her characters, in my opinion.  Sorry, Lilysmom, I know you love this book.,