Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2016

I read A Little Life earlier this year and that book has stayed with me.  One of the most incredible but heart-wrenching books I have ever read!!!  I can not recommend it highly enough!!!

Spent a couple of weeks at the beach and read Mary Alice Monroe's A Lowcountry Summer series...The Summer Girls, The Summer Wind and The Summer's End along with A Lowcountry Wedding.  Wonderful, wonderful books set in Sullivan's Island, SC and Charleston.  Very easy, enjoyable reads!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm listening to It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided with the New Politics of Extremism by Thomas E Mann and Norman Ornstein. Originally published in 2012, they've just released a revised version for 2016 with a new foreward and afterward. I'm really enjoying this book. It's a great look at the dysfunction of Congress, when, where, and how it started and why. It's absolutely fascinating.

Honored Contributor

Product DetailsI have enjoyed all her books.  She writes very well.

Product DetailsGood summer book

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished ROSEMARY, THE HIDDEN KENNEDY DAUGHTER.  It's a sad story.  It was an interesting read in a voyeuristic kind of way.  Not that long (around 250 pages) which is a good thing.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @lainey1 for all your years of starting this thread. I don't post as often as I used to as it seems everyone is reading current books and I am still trying to catch up with ten years of books sitting on my bookshelves. However, I do come often and check the postings for ideas of new books to read. I just finished Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim and I know that I got the idea to read it from this thread-so thank you again.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

Thank you @lainey1 for all your years of starting this thread. I don't post as often as I used to as it seems everyone is reading current books and I am still trying to catch up with ten years of books sitting on my bookshelves. However, I do come often and check the postings for ideas of new books to read. I just finished Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim and I know that I got the idea to read it from this thread-so thank you again.

@abbalulu I finally read Yellow Crocus last month after having it on my Kindle for at least a year (probably more like two years). I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. It was so sad but I enjoyed the ending (well, as much as I could).  Don't we get the best books from this thread? I got it from here as well.

I finished Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, which I really enjoyed, and now am reading Memory Man by David Baldacci. It's the first book of a series about Amos Decker, a former policeman whose entire family was murdered, and how he's going about trying to solve the crime. There was also a mass shooting at the town's High School, and Amos thinks the two crimes are somehow connected. I'm really enjoying this. I actually have enjoyed all the books I've read by David Baldacci. 

Happy reading everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to the Cozy Mysteries thread, I decided to try a new-to-me mystery series Cat In The Stacks. by Miranda James. I read the first one Murder Past Due. I enjoyed it so much that I right away put the next book on hold request at my library. It's always so much fun finding a new series!

Honored Contributor

I just finished ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES - I enjoyed it but probably will not see the movie.

I'm starting MY GRANDMOTHER TOLD ME TO TELL YOU SHE'S SORRY BY FREDRIK BACKMAN. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I loved A man called Ove and it doesn't and I heard it doesn't compare

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I just finished ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES - I enjoyed it but probably will not see the movie.

I'm starting MY GRANDMOTHER TOLD ME TO TELL YOU SHE'S SORRY BY FREDRIK BACKMAN. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I loved A man called Ove and it doesn't and I heard it doesn't compare

@Yahooey Try Britt-Marie Was Here. You might like this one more.

Esteemed Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@Yahooey Try Britt-Marie Was Here. You might like this one more.

@skyblue I loved A Man Called Ove too but I just couldn't get into Britt-Marie Was Here. I didn't remove the title from my list, but I can't see myself going back to it anytime in the near future. I couldn't warm up to her personality, and all her strange character-friends confused me with their dialect. They all seemed a bit insane. I did read that it gets better, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. There are too many excellent books to read without trying to like a book. Life's too short for that!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett