Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

In his early days, I loved his books.  Now I don't read him at all.  His books are like a formula.. Small people against big business, David and Goliath etc etc.  

I put him in the same category now as James Patterson.  Used to love Patterson's books as well.  Don't touch them now.  His name is in big print and the co author (who I am assuming is the real author) follows in very small print.  Very formula like, very predictable, very boring.  

Too many good books out there to be doing the same thing over and over.  LM

I disagree.  While many of his books have a legal theme , not all do.   I gave up on James Patterson years ago when he started giving an outline for a book to a "co-author' to fill in and his books went down hill.   John Grisham isn't like that at all.   Sure, some of his books are much better than others but they aren't all the same.   For example, Calico Joe and Playing for Pizza, to name just two.

I've read all of his books and will continue to read them unless they all start getting bad.   

@Bridgegal

Which were your favorites?    I just ordered 3 on Ebay and can't wait for them to arrive!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

In his early days, I loved his books.  Now I don't read him at all.  His books are like a formula.. Small people against big business, David and Goliath etc etc.  

I put him in the same category now as James Patterson.  Used to love Patterson's books as well.  Don't touch them now.  His name is in big print and the co author (who I am assuming is the real author) follows in very small print.  Very formula like, very predictable, very boring.  

Too many good books out there to be doing the same thing over and over.  LM

I disagree.  While many of his books have a legal theme , not all do.   I gave up on James Patterson years ago when he started giving an outline for a book to a "co-author' to fill in and his books went down hill.   John Grisham isn't like that at all.   Sure, some of his books are much better than others but they aren't all the same.   For example, Calico Joe and Playing for Pizza, to name just two.

I've read all of his books and will continue to read them unless they all start getting bad.   

@Bridgegal, here is a review of some of his work...

Following the dull period from 2008 – 2011 when he released four consecutive books that focused more on message than story, Grisham returned to form with The Racketeer, a taut yarn that keeps the reader guessing what will happen next as well as trying to piece together the backstory at the same time. Though it is like many later Grisham works in that it borrows from previous ones, The Racketeer is more nuanced and polished than his novels from the early ‘90s.

End Quote

The last Grisham book I read was Gray Mountain.  It was in the period mentioned above.  The David and Goliath theme.  I pulled the bookmark on this one.  He does do some good writing but, to me, this wasn't one.  I will most likely cherry pick his books and skip the ones with the above theme.  LM

Honored Contributor

Well, I finished Rogue Lawyer and really enjoyed it.  

Of the additional 3 books I ordered, I'm now reading Ford County Stories ... a collection of 7 short stories.   John Grisham really is a very skilled writer.  In these short stories, he makes every single word count!

Respected Contributor

John Grisham is releasing his newest; THE WHISTLER.  It will be available 10/25/16.  I live in Florida, calling all my Floridian sisters to ck it out as this one takes place in Florida, yay!  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

John Grisham is releasing his newest; THE WHISTLER.  It will be available 10/25/16.  I live in Florida, calling all my Floridian sisters to ck it out as this one takes place in Florida, yay!  

@BornToShop I can't wait for it to come out too. Although I don't think his newer books are as terrific as the old ones, I still enjoy reading them.

I have to check my library's Overdrive and see if I can reserve it. Thanks for the heads up!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Does anyone here remember Joseph Wambaugh?  I loved his books and I think I read everyone.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Does anyone here remember Joseph Wambaugh?  I loved his books and I think I read everyone.  

@DiAnne ...

I seem to remember having read The Choirboys (if this is one of his books)  eons ago.  I think a movie was made from it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANY JOHN GRISHAM FANS?

[ Edited ]

@BornToShop wrote:

I'm waiting for this one ...

Trusted Contributor

have read many of his books and enjoy all of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I sure do! He wrote many excellent police dramas that took place in Los Angeles.

I enjoyed all of his books that I read.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett