Respected Contributor

Re: why isn't there insurance for cosmetic procedures?

On 9/9/2014 Catsy Cline said:

s3x reassignment surgery can now be covered by Medicare and that includes breasts implants.

Now that's not right at all.

Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 songbird said:
On 9/9/2014 silkyk said:

I for one have never figured out why health insurance does NOT cover dental! How can anyone be healthy with bad teeth? Impossible. Teeth are part of the body that should be covered by health insurance. This needs to change.

We humans only have one set of permanent teeth. If you take care of them, they are yours for life. Dental insurance is terrible. The only thing they seem to cover is cleaning. Braces are something to make you look pretty. You don't die from it. Dentures are partially covered, but not implants. Teeth are not lethal. You don't die from periodontal disease. That's why dental is different then health.

A person could die from periodontal disease if it were bad enough. It can be very serious.

Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 songbird said:
On 9/9/2014 silkyk said:

I for one have never figured out why health insurance does NOT cover dental! How can anyone be healthy with bad teeth? Impossible. Teeth are part of the body that should be covered by health insurance. This needs to change.

We humans only have one set of permanent teeth. If you take care of them, they are yours for life. Dental insurance is terrible. The only thing they seem to cover is cleaning. Braces are something to make you look pretty. You don't die from it. Dentures are partially covered, but not implants. Teeth are not lethal. You don't die from periodontal disease. That's why dental is different then health.

I had to wear braces several years ago as an adult. While they certainly enhanced my smile they also saved my teeth. Not always for entirely cosmetic reasons.
Regular Contributor

On 9/9/2014 spookyghost said:
On 9/9/2014 suzy OKQ3 said:

To me, it shouldn't matter whether a person has private insurance or is receiving government forms of insurance. Gastric bypass should be covered if the person has exhausted other methods of losing weight and is in danger of losing her life or becoming severely incapacitated.

A general comment about welfare in any form: There will always be those who exploit the system. But that doesn't negate the need for some kind of safety net. And since the 1990s and welfare reform, regulations have been tightened up.

No system is perfect. And exploitation is hardly limited to the poor and needy. There are those scam the system on every rung of the social ladder, maybe even more so on the upper rungs.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

Yes it does matter if the person is on assistance or regular insurance. This is what is messed up with the system. I have seen some truly overweight people come in and, yes, they need the surgery. Doesn't matter if they had government assistance or not. They need it for the sake of their lives. I believe in that as much as I believe in the people who truly need and deserve assistance. But many of the people I see only need to listen to a nutritionist. And they would lose the weight. I have asked a nutritionist if the gastric bypass people she sees really need the surgery or if they should be able to lose it themselves. She said, sadly, most of them could lose it on their own. She said she has had family members of patients tell her that they are telling her that they are following the diet but its not working. When they are really eating potato chips and fattening food all day long. In those cases it matters if you are on assistance. And the nutritionist said the the success rate is low. They will eat a little more every day till there stomach stretches and they gain the weight back. So then it wasn't even with it. I'm sorry if I m coming across uncompassionate but I deal with all this on a daily basis.
Sorry. I actually tried deleting this because I really dont want to upset anyone or get this going in the wrong direction. But I couldn't delete it as hard as I tried. I'm sorry. Its one of those things where I should have kept my opinion to myself.
Honored Contributor

To me, it shouldn't matter whether a person has private insurance or is receiving government forms of insurance. Gastric bypass should be covered if the person has exhausted other methods of losing weight and is in danger of losing her life or becoming severely incapacitated.

A general comment about welfare in any form: There will always be those who exploit the system. But that doesn't negate the need for some kind of safety net. And since the 1990s and welfare reform, regulations have been tightened up.

No system is perfect. And exploitation is hardly limited to the poor and needy. There are those scam the system on every rung of the social ladder, maybe even more so on the upper rungs.

Yes it does matter if the person is on assistance or regular insurance. This is what is messed up with the system. I have seen some truly overweight people come in and, yes, they need the surgery. Doesn't matter if they had government assistance or not. They need it for the sake of their lives. I believe in that as much as I believe in the people who truly need and deserve assistance. But many of the people I see only need to listen to a nutritionist. And they would lose the weight. I have asked a nutritionist if the gastric bypass people she sees really need the surgery or if they should be able to lose it themselves. She said, sadly, most of them could lose it on their own. She said she has had family members of patients tell her that they are telling her that they are following the diet but its not working. When they are really eating potato chips and fattening food all day long. In those cases it matters if you are on assistance. And the nutritionist said the the success rate is low. They will eat a little more every day till there stomach stretches and they gain the weight back. So then it wasn't even with it. I'm sorry if I m coming across uncompassionate but I deal with all this on a daily basis.

Excuse me, but did you edit my nic?

Anyway, no, I disagree that it matters what type on insurance they have. What matters should be the requirements for getting the okay for a bypass.

The ones you're talking about anecdotally seem to be people whom you think could lose the weight on their own. I have no way of assessing that. But even if a professional -- IMO, preferable a physician -- agrees that they could do it on their own, then by that measure, they would not be meeting what I think should be the requirements.

But the same would be true for ANYONE -- private insurance or government assistance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 9/9/2014 icezeus said:

Thumbs down on medical insurance paying for cosmetic procedures.

I agree! I don't want to pay more insurance premiums than I already am paying to cover the crazy cost of cosmetic procedures (and that many people would more than likely abuse)! Yikes! My insurance premiums already skyrocketed after the Ocare went into effect.

I don't understand why medical insurance does not cover surgeries for medically necessary DENTAL procedures though.

Absolutely! It's not as if you can ""elect"" the need for a root canal. Youch! I slept sitting up for five nights in a row biting on a q-tip of dental numbing cream waiting for my appt with the oral surgeon.
Honored Contributor

BC, a group of dedicated dentists have a dental fair here quite often. It's pretty much for those who can't afford going to the dentist.

It's heart-wrenching to see the adults but even more so the children who can finally get help.

And oh, do I know the pain that a bad tooth can cause. I had natural childbirth and four serious foot surgeries after which I took virtually no meds. But I've had tooth pain that literally felled me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

On 9/9/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Excuse me, but did you edit my nic?

Anyway, no, I disagree that it matters what type on insurance they have. What matters should be the requirements for getting the okay for a bypass.

The ones you're talking about anecdotally seem to be people whom you think could lose the weight on their own. I have no way of assessing that. But even if a professional agrees that they could do it on their own, then by that measure, they would not be meeting what I think should be the requirements.

But the same would be true for ANYONE -- private insurance or government assistance.

Oh my goodness. I sure hope I didn't edit your nic. If i did Im very sorry. I'm not that great when it comes to technology and I was trying to delete my one post because I didn't want to start anything. I shouldnt have replied and I was trying to delete it. Which obviously didn't work. I don't even know what a nic is. So my apologies if I offended or irratated anyone it really wasn't my place to reply like that.
Super Contributor

Spooky - you are entitled to your opinion, even if others here (including me) don't agree with it.

I understand your regret in posting. It's why I generally try to stay away from threads that take on a political bent (such as this one). They can quickly go south... {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Spooky - you are entitled to your opinion, even if others here (including me) don't agree with it.

I understand your regret in posting. It's why I generally try to stay away from threads that take on a political bent (such as this one). They can quickly go south... {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Great, now you're picking on the South! Smiley Happy