Trusted Contributor

@silleeMee. Adding mandelic acid to my morning routine

Hi, I would like to amp up my morning routine. I use TO lactic acid 10% +HA 2% exfoliating daily.
I daily alternate glycolic acid+squalane with vitamin c over it.
I would like to use TO mandelic acid 10% +HA as well.
I have dry skin but I hydrate my skin well. I have some unevenness in my cheeks from past sun damage along with some light spots. Would this new ( to me ) mandelic acid be effective do you think? I have read that kojic acid works well with lactic acid. This TO product is supposed to be exactly or very similar to kojic acid from what I've read.
I'm about to place an order for the TO lactic acid and wanted to add the mandelic acid as well.
One more question ❓:
I read the reviews for the lactic acid and some say that everyday use causes it to lose effectiveness. Do you agree? I use daily and my skin looks good. I don't think any product can remove my sun damage unless done in a dermatology office but I would like to do what I can at home.

Thank you 😁
Honored Contributor

Re: @silleeMee. Adding mandelic acid to my morning routine

@Midmod 

Mandelic acid is a very weak/gentle  AHA.  It's large molecule doesn't penetrate the skin very deeply so it's benefits will be mostly surface exfoliation to help reduce hyperpig.

You mentioned using glycolic acid over vitamin C. I would not recommend that but instead apply your VC first on clean dry skin. Also the type of VC will determine what other products you can layer with it and that's important because the acidity of the VC can be either  pro/con with other products you might be using along with it. VC in the THD derivative is good for reducing hyperpig and that kind is compatible with most other skincare ingredients.

Iv'e never read anything about lactic acid losing efficacy after long-term use.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @ SilleeMee
I'm sorry; I meant that I use my vit c over lactic acid and alternate daily same routine with glycolic acid with squalane.
I'm not sure what type vitamin C I'm using. I've read you talk about vitamin C types here but didn't really understand how to figure out what type I'm currently using.
Ty for helping me btw
Trusted Contributor

Daily: lactic acid/vit c -
Next day lactic acid/gly acid
So forth
Honored Contributor

You're welcome @Midmod 

You will get the most benefits from using VC when it's applied to clean dry skin first regardless of which derivative it is.

Trusted Contributor

At night I use a retinol serum and top with a soothing collagen serum. My serums have really amped up my skin hydration. I look younger than I am. I'm a non smoker and use sunscreen.

Thanks for responding. I was about to check out at Sephora and wanted to ask you.

If only now I could relearn how to apply makeup.
@monicakm, if you are reading, you still won't do a mature skin makeup video? I'd follow you for sure.
Trusted Contributor

Ok @ SilleeMee
That's how I do apply serums right after I shower.
I hope you are having a lovely Saturday. It's 🥵 here and I am distracting myself from having to clean 🏠. Ugh
Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

Regarding your squalane...that one should be applied last, on top of your other serums. Squalane is an occlusive so that will help seal in moisture plus prevent your other serums from evaporating off of your skin too quickly.

Trusted Contributor

TY!!