Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do foundations feel tacky on my skin

I had a similar issue with foundations as I have sensitive skin.  Over the past 10 years, what my skin has found that it likes is Bare Minerals (original powder), IT powdered foundation, and the last one that I recently received, and love, is the IT CC Veil Foundation Cushion.  My skin reacts to an ingredient or several ingredients in liquid foundations.  I have tried Clinique, also.

I don't use foundations with a heavy hand as I don't like the feeling on my face.  Wtih the  IT CC Veil, I use a small amount, and as mentioned, really like it.  It feels as if I have nothing on.

Respected Contributor

I swear by primer, it holds everything in place, makes everything go on super smooth and last for hours.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

It's hard to find what works for difficult skin & you can see that each of us likes different things. I have old/oily/easily dehydrated skin that breaks our from everything. Powder foundations look nice on my skin, but they don't control my oil.I can use them for short days (If they don't break me out) but I haven't found one that stays on all day. I also have never found a primer that does anything to keep my makeup matte or make a difference in look or wear. I have found that if I use Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF15, it gives me light hydration, but keeps my skin matte. I use Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation (med-full coverage), Tarte Tinted Treatment BB Primer SPF30 (light coverage) or my new favorite Becca Ever Matte Shine Proof Foundation (lightest coverage, but evens eveything out, feels really nice on & wears great). I do use Mac Careblend Powder over any foundation. When you find products that last all day on your skin, you do have to be sure that you find a cleanser or remover that takes it all off withought dryin out your skin. I use argan oil to break down my maekup at the end of the day. Then I use PTR Rose Stem Cell Cleanser to make sure that my skin is clean & I use First Aid Beauty Cleanser in the morning. 

Good luck. I hope that you find what works for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can relate.  I'm 67 and have had oily skin all my life.  Liquid foundations have always felt tacky, ever since I was a teenager.  Like @Jacie, I've become a huge fan of primer.  I also switched to a cream foundation over 20 years ago.  The combination of mattyfying primer and brushing on a light layer of cream foundation saved me -- I haven't had tacky skin since.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I have a similar problem.  I'm almost the big 5-0 and my skin has been oily most of my life.  I can't stand that tacky feeling either.  What I have discovered is my skin can't tolerate products with large amounts of silicones in them.  I purchased a sunscreen recently that is very highly rated but I could tell it was very full of silicones.  As soon as I put it on my face, I started to sweat.  My face was feeling so wet, I had to rewash my face and start my morning skincare routine all over again.  Anyway, once I'm done applying my skincare, I use Paula's Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish.  I find that this product does a wondering job "drying down" my skin before I apply my foundation.  I have also stopped using liquid foundations and have found that I really like Clinique Almost Powder SPF 15.  I have been using this Clinique product for years upon the recommendation of Paula Begoun.

Honored Contributor

I only use oil free products and have for years, it seems no matter what I am using this problem occurs.

I can go with out moisturizer and primer and i still gt the tacky feeling

I am going to a powder foundation I used years ago and see if there is a difference

@Trinity11 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am 61 and my skin is sensitive, has roseaca and is  still pretty oily. I use a gentle cleanser and then usually Clinique Moisture surge oil free.

It seems that no matter what liquid  foundation I use my skin feels tacky.

Granted it is Summer.

Do I need something to keep the oil at bay and start with a clean palette or am I destine to deal with the slick forever 

many thanks 

Maybe it's silicone in the the Clinique Moisture surge that is making your complexion more oily.

You would probably be better off using a primer and a powder based foundation without oil in the ingredient deck.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I only use oil free products and have for years, it seems no matter what I am using this problem occurs.

I can go with out moisturizer and primer and i still gt the tacky feeling

I am going to a powder foundation I used years ago and see if there is a difference

Oil free is different than oil control, so you may need to check that, too. You've gotten some good advice & trying your powder foundation, again, may just work. If it doesn't, try something that controls the oil. I had an SA at a makeup counter argue with me one time, because they said "You can't get more matte than a powder foundation. It is perfect for oily skin." It is powder. It is matte. But, it doesn't necessarily absorb oil that I produce. It's complicated.

Honored Contributor

When this occasionally happens to me I know I have done one of two things:  Worked way too fast and didn't leave enough time for drying of the different layers.  Or I've just put on way too much of one or more products.  (Serum, peptide gel, moisturizer, foundation)  Usually it is a drying time issue.  When I know I will be in a huge hurry to leave the house in the morning, (DH has no patience) I've actually done my routine the night before, so all I have to do is put on lip color, mascara, eyebrow pencil, and blush.  Horrors, I've slept in my makeup.  Don't tell anyone. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the consistency of what you're putting on your skin. I notice that for me, a moisturizer with a light tint feels tacky; but putting on my regular moisturizer (that has SPF 30) plus then a foundation feels OK. Today I did put on tinted moisturizer, then decided it wasn't enough coverage, so I put a Bare Minerals foundation that I mix up myself over it & things were fine. I did not use any cleanser this morning, as I had scrubbed my face clean last night (just rinsed with water under the shower head & wiped my face with my washcloth). Try different things to see what works. Oh, and I'm sure things will feel much different in dry winter weather.

Respected Contributor

Do you exfoliate your skin on a regular basis?  I think it makes a difference with how your skin looks and feels.  When I've been a little lax with exfoliating, my tinted moisturizer or foundation doesn't look or feel as nice on my skin as it does when I've exfoliated on a regular basis. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥