Super Contributor

Re: Who uses a very cheap facial cleanser BUT expensive serums/moisturizers, etc.

I'm another one for Pond's Cold Cream as my eye makeup remover,been using that since the mid 90's in highschool.

And facial cleansers I've been using Garnier cleansing gel and good old Noxema w/moisturizers....I do love Estee Lauder's facial cleansers when I feel like splurging.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Who uses a very cheap facial cleanser BUT expensive serums/moisturizers, etc.

On 9/16/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Pond's Cold Cream is the white greasy cream, right? If so, what do you use to remove the Pond's? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

If you were hot and sweaty, would it ever make sense to rub your whole body with cold cream and then wipe it off? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Wouldn't you want to take a shower to clean your skin with water? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

My point being, you need something that refreshes / cleanses your skin with water ..... which is why it's best to pat dry after a bath or shower and apply body lotion immediately. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Actually that's the original cold cream, which i don't like either, but Ponds makes a really nice "cucumber cleanser" I have been using it for years...it's hard to find sometimes, I can sometimes find it at walmart...I just bought Tatcha cleanser from Qvc, very pricey, and so far don't see the big deal...probably will go back to my Ponds ...
Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Pond's Cold Cream is the white greasy cream, right? If so, what do you use to remove the Pond's? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

If you were hot and sweaty, would it ever make sense to rub your whole body with cold cream and then wipe it off? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Wouldn't you want to take a shower to clean your skin with water? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

My point being, you need something that refreshes / cleanses your skin with water ..... which is why it's best to pat dry after a bath or shower and apply body lotion immediately. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Once you wash your skin with water, aren't you immediately applying a moisturizer or oil to replace what you just removed? That sort of goes both ways.

If I were hot and sweaty, I wouldn't use the Pond's right away, I would rinse my face off and then use the Pond's once I'd cooled off. That's what I do with my cleansing balms. I come home in the evenings when it's 95 or hotter and humid out. After I get out of my car, I have to walk up a flight of stairs in that heat, sometimes carrying my groceries or computer, so I'm frequently hot and sometimes sweaty and sticky when I get home. I usually rinse my face with water before touching any cleanser. I usually did the same if I used an oil-free cleanser, too.

You can use water with or after the Pond's or balm. Hot Cloth balms even recommend it. Once you wipe the Pond's away, you don't need to remove it. You can use a toner if you want, but you don't need to.

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I use Dr. Bronner's Liquid castile soap to remove my makeup and it cleans very well, then I put on all the various serums/moisturizers/retin a.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 sunshine3215 said:

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I use Dr. Bronner's Liquid castile soap to remove my makeup and it cleans very well, then I put on all the various serums/moisturizers/retin a.

sunshine, where do you get this? I love his bar soap for showering!

I'm still just using superfine sugar to cleanse in the a.m., but use Principal Secret for p.m. because I love its action, and it removes eye makeup, as it does everything, thoroughly and without stripping.

It's not a question of expense, but what you want and/or need in a cleanser and in a serum.

I don't use any expensive serums, though. I just don't cotton to the philosophy, either with the expense or with using every ingredient God put on this earth. (Though I like a lot of them!)

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Harpa said:
On 9/17/2014 sunshine3215 said:

sunshine, where do you get this? I love his bar soap for showering!

I'm still just using superfine sugar to cleanse in the a.m., but use Principal Secret for p.m. because I love its action, and it removes eye makeup, as it does everything, thoroughly and without stripping.

It's not a question of expense, but what you want and/or need in a cleanser and in a serum.

I don't use any expensive serums, though. I just don't cotton to the philosophy, either with the expense or with using every ingredient God put on this earth. (Though I like a lot of them!)

I did find this at Wegman's, but it said not to use around your eyes. (Like most of the DS cleansers I've looked at.) I hate having a separate eye makeup remover.

Trusted Contributor

The ladies on another thread read me the riot act and were convinced that the dryness I experience despite the moisturizers is the cleanser I use. I never got a chance to say that I haven't used anything except purity made simple for about 8 years. But something has changed. You're right, it doesn't remove makeup like it used to and once, interrupted by a phone call , I realized it draws your skin up like 100 proof alcohol. That is why I'm searching for a cleanser again after all this time. Paula used to love alpha hydrox and cetaphil. Now her own line has all her favorites. SSC used to have a glycolic acid gleaner that was effective and gentle. It's gone , changed after the government forced them to drop their claims about it clearing acne. I'm going back to cetaphil for sensitive skin. With the big Clarisonic, it should work. I'll follow with PTR FirmX or TATCHA, alternating days for a total of 4 x per wk. I know they leave your skin clean, almost sterile and you have to be quick with your serums or your skin will protest the peeling. For now I have no better choices. The creams were banished bc of Paula years ago. I used to like Elastology but she hated it. I thought they'd left QVC with everybody else but saw something of theirs a few days ago. Someone recommended Yves Rocher. They were Jane's fav back in the CVN days and haven't been seen since. That was the first beauty line I ever used that didn't come from the bargain basement or discontinued table. Reminiscing ! Thank you for a thread I didn't wince at bc of the brawling, name calling, belittling.....
Honored Contributor

On 9/25/2014 CoG said: The ladies on another thread read me the riot act and were convinced that the dryness I experience despite the moisturizers is the cleanser I use. I never got a chance to say that I haven't used anything except purity made simple for about 8 years. But something has changed. You're right, it doesn't remove makeup like it used to and once, interrupted by a phone call , I realized it draws your skin up like 100 proof alcohol. That is why I'm searching for a cleanser again after all this time. Paula used to love alpha hydrox and cetaphil. Now her own line has all her favorites. SSC used to have a glycolic acid gleaner that was effective and gentle. It's gone , changed after the government forced them to drop their claims about it clearing acne. I'm going back to cetaphil for sensitive skin. With the big Clarisonic, it should work. I'll follow with PTR FirmX or TATCHA, alternating days for a total of 4 x per wk. I know they leave your skin clean, almost sterile and you have to be quick with your serums or your skin will protest the peeling. For now I have no better choices. The creams were banished bc of Paula years ago. I used to like Elastology but she hated it. I thought they'd left QVC with everybody else but saw something of theirs a few days ago. Someone recommended Yves Rocher. They were Jane's fav back in the CVN days and haven't been seen since. That was the first beauty line I ever used that didn't come from the bargain basement or discontinued table. Reminiscing ! Thank you for a thread I didn't wince at bc of the brawling, name calling, belittling.....
the Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin is cheap and effective. And no irritants