Respected Contributor

What's the best "beauty" tip/advice you've ever gotten?

The best beauty advice came from my Mom years ago.

She has always said "Wear whatever make-up you want during the day, but just make sure it all gets taken off before you go to bed!" Followed by  "and always stay moisturized!"

I must admit, I have followed it!

What was your best?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: What's the best "beauty" tip/advice you've ever gotten?

Mine was from my mom, too. She always warmed me about the harmful rays of the sun. Boy, was she ever right...way before we really knew about how bad they are. It was that "scientist" in her.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I was able to attend a beauty industry show that's reserved for cosmetologists and their guests.  While my daughter was meeting an industry celebrity, I was just sitting and waiting for her.  Beside me was an esthetician.  We struck up a conversation and she said, "If I can give you one piece of advice, it's to peel, peel, peel."  She never recommended a specific product so I was left to do my own research, trial and error, but I learned about exfoliation that way.

I also agree about not going to bed with makeup on.  For the most part, I do a thorough cleansing and skincare routine every night but on those nights here and there where I'm exhausted or get home late I still will use a disposable facial cleansing cloth even if I'm not going to follow up with the rest of my routine.

Frequent Contributor

Vitamin C, antioxidants. Advice from my dermatologist. Started using "Active C" by LaRoche Posay. Excellent results, diminished pores and good looking healthy skin.

Honored Contributor

Always use sunscreen if you are going to sunbathe -- when I was a teenager, used Coppertone 4 or 8.

From my Mom as a teenager she said when you wash your face in the morning, use a paper towel to dry off your face instead of a hand towel; that way the germs remain on the paper towel instead of possibly reinfecting your face again. She was ahead of her time and realized breakouts are caused by bacteria. I never had acne!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

The best "beauty" advice came from a dear friend who reminded not to obsess about appearance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

"Beauty is only skin deep.  Uglyness is to the bone."...... My father

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

When a front section of my very dark hair became dye-resistant, my young hairdresser suggested letting it go pure white which she could see.  In time, the whole front is pure, snowy white and the rest of the hair is still dyed very dark.

It is very striking and gets many compliments practically daily.  It even lets strangers tell me about a dear loved one who has passed who had a similar hair streak.

It was the best beauty tip / advice that I ever got.  I will always remember her !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

From my mom's friend who was  nurse.Do not smoke.

Regular Contributor

@cactuscromwell wrote:

From my mom's friend who was  nurse.Do not smoke.

Or, sip from a straw.